2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pressure Not holding steady

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
gmyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pressure Not holding steady

95 Chevy blazer 4.3 vortec CPI

My problems have been ongoing now since replacing what I thought was a bad fuel pump. It did not hold or even build up to a 60 psi reading in the first place so I replaced it.

I had a check engine light and have been dealing with trying to get that fixed, not having much luck. so since the fuel pump replacement I pulled the EGR and it was completly blocked. I replaced it and all this other stuff has happened. I've replace the EGR valve, taken it off again and cleaned it, again, and again. Replaced Spark plugs and wires, and they did look bad, changed oil.
I'm getting a knocking when it cranks, and it still runs or idles really bad.

So I applied sea foam to both intake and crank case.

Manual says possible fuel problem or vacuum leak. So I retest the fuel pressure and it goes right to 60psi and immediatly drops back down to some 30 or less psi before holding steady. Any suggestions on why now, it didn't do this last week. If I start the vehicle (yes it starts just runs terrible and I hear knocking and I'm thinking I might be hearing metal starting to squeal)the fuel pressure looks to be back up around 55-60 but the engine is not running correctly...

Could the sea foam be screwing things up in there?

What could that be?

I had a spark plug wire come loose, but they are all in place now. I've checked engine oil, it seems normal.

There is a small puddling of what looks to be radiator fluid and engine grease or possibly oil? Just below the EGR valve, however it doesn't seem to be coming from there, and was actually there before I started any of this other troubleshooting/money draining stuff I've done. So I thought maybe it was just a slight leak there at where the radiator hose attaches just in front of the EGR. And as long as it has radiator fluid I'm fine there. Could I be wrong in not associating this to the engine problem?

I'm not getting any engine codes, but then again I'm not running it long enough either.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:13 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Fuel Pressure Not holding steady

your fuel pressure problem could be your fuel pressure regulator or the hose that goes to that. the easiest way to tell it it is that, when you shout the blazer off, listen to the gas tank and listen for a hissing or whining sound. If it does then thats your prob. Or you can pull the hose of the regulator and if there is gas in it then that is your prob.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
gmyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm hoping I'm not screwed. As I had the car running to listen for problem area on engine and also to see if fuel pump noise was present. I beleive the engine locked up. The knocking was present and then it just kind of sqeualed or screeched to a stop. Now it won't turn over on just the battery. I turn the key to the crank position and it just kills everything and doesn't even pretend to want to turn over... Can I diagnose a locked engine at home or am I out of luck?

Knock seemed to be coming from the number 6 cylinder. or at least the left bank if you are facing the engine from the front of the vehicle. It was also the one that the plug wire had come off of the day before.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to begin...

Old 11-06-2005, 11:45 PM
skunker is an unknown quantity at this point

I owm a 2001 chevy blazer and I have 2 problems.
My first problem: when starting the truck it takes a while (seems like it is being flooded my foot is not on the gas pedal) then finally starts and runs fine. happens if the car is warm up or not.
2nd problem is the abs: the abs kicks on at very low speed and when ther is little pressure on the brake pedal, Is this a ABS computer problem?
Thanks Keith

Old 11-07-2005, 02:42 AM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: gmyoyo

Well, I'm hoping I'm not screwed. As I had the car running to listen for problem area on engine and also to see if fuel pump noise was present. I beleive the engine locked up. The knocking was present and then it just kind of sqeualed or screeched to a stop. Now it won't turn over on just the battery. I turn the key to the crank position and it just kills everything and doesn't even pretend to want to turn over... Can I diagnose a locked engine at home or am I out of luck?

Knock seemed to be coming from the number 6 cylinder. or at least the left bank if you are facing the engine from the front of the vehicle. It was also the one that the plug wire had come off of the day before.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to begin...

get a socket on a ratchet, and put it on the crank-pully center bolt... you should be able to turn it by hand... the whole motor should turn... I would start there, If your motor seized, which it sounds like it did, then it's not worth doing anything else before you fix that problem first.