2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump isnt running, run position does nothing, but everything else works .....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
YOURCONNEXX is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump isnt running, run position does nothing, but everything else works .....

First id like to thank in advance anyone who helps ... i really appreiciate all help

I have a 1997 blazer v6 (im assuming 4.3 but i can check again if it make a difference in this topic). Ive had this blazer since 2004, so it has lasted awhile. Had to take it to the dealer years ago to change rear engine oil seals, that was the biggest problem i ever had with it until last february.

I had to change the fuel pump in the freezing cold. After that it hasnt stopped working until yesterday. When i first put the new fuel pump in i did nothing else but that ... i didnt change the fuel filter or any or anything. I just installed the new fuel pump and it worked up until now. From changing the pump, i know the distinct sound of the fuel pump kicking on. I never fully turn the key until the fuel pump cycles for that 2 - 3 second period, THEN i turn it over. A few times i have heard a more high pitched "whining" when i set the key to the run position, but the vast majority has been the normal quiet buzz of the fuel pump cycle.

So like two days ago (not sure if this is related) when i started my blazer the Daytime running lamps didnt come on. I switched the head lights on and they didnt come on. I tried the high beams and they worked, so i switched back down to regular head lights and they were on... ive had to do this for the last two days at night. So yesterday while leaving work... about 4 blocks away from my job my blazer just "blinks" and gave me the stuff that happens when you first turn the key to the run position (the security beep noise that always comes on, all gauges lighting up etc) ... only my engine etc never shut off. So later that night at the laundry mat while leaving, i turn it to the run position to let the fuel pump cycle. NOTHING. Not even the normal security beep noise and gauges lighting up. The overhead console comes on, the radio too, and if i open the door or turn the head lights on it gives me the normal security beep still. So i turn it over anyway... and of course it turns over perfectly but doesnt kick on (becuase there is no initial fuel pump cycle) so i turn the key back and forth to the run and off positions a couple times.... NOTHING. So i get frustrated and im tryin to think while the key is coincidentally in the run postion ... it must have been in the run position for like 4 - 5 minutes ... then all of a sudden the fuel pump cycles and the run position lights up the gauges etc like a normal start OUTTA NO WHERE.

So i got home ... but of course this morning while trying to go to work i got nothing. I let it sit in the run position for ten minutes and it did NOT just cycle on like last nite. I unhooked the battery for hours to try to reset the system but that didnt work. And i went into the relay access in the glove box, swapped the switch on the left for the one on the right ... i left the middle one alone tho ... but still.... NOTHING. What are the three switches in there?? I know the one all the way on the left is the fuel pump ... but what is the middle one and the one on the right? But most importantly, am i looking at another fuel pump or ignition switch or what?? Ive literally searched this and the other chevy forum all morning and no one seems to have posted this exact problem. Please i need help ... need to get to work tommorrow plus i have a pretty big weekend coming up ...

Last edited by YOURCONNEXX; 10-21-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! I am sorry to say this, but Sentences, Capitalization, & Paragraphs.. It hurts to look at our post. Check out the links in my signature for some guidelines. It will really help you get the assistance you requested.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member
YOURCONNEXX is on a distinguished road

sorry about that i fixed it. Hope this post isnt too long but i just want to put the right info in there

is my post too long ....havent got a response yet LOL ... well i am new to this board maybe this just isnt a busy time

ok im thinking electrical now because i cant even put the car in neutral when i switch the key to the run position

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well you do realize that you have to wait for responses... Please be patient. If another member has not yet replied, edit your post rather than post again.

Your problem sounds like the ignition switch is at fault.