2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Issues save my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM
mdecker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Issues save my truck!

Hi,
I have a '95 4 door blazer. It's had a lot of problems but all were able to be fixed until recently. One night i went to start my truck and it wouldn't turn on. My parents and I decided to have it towed to a local shop where I know the owners. At the shop they determined it needed a new pump and my parents brought it home just fine. I brought the car to school (30 mins away) and came home one day and realized my tank was leaking. We dropped it back off to the mechanic and they put in a new gas tank and put new gas lines in. Thought it would end there....
I picked it upand drove it to work about40 miles away and it drove fine until I got to a stop light and the whole thing just shut off. There had been a loud noise coming from the back end which I was later told was the fuel pump. When it shut off the lights on the dash lit up and then I realized it was running. I tried starting it and after 4 mins I got it started again. Drove it home and on the way home it started to sputter going up hills and when I put my foot on the gas the truck wouldn't go faster I had to back off and then slowly accelerate and got myself up the hills. Told the mechanic what happened and dropped it back off to him. He found out that the fuel pump he had just changed was faulty so he changed it again and test drove it and told me to pick it up.
When picking it up that day and driving it to my house about 15 mins away it drove fine the first 10 mins and then going up hills at the end I almost didn't make it back. When I put my foot on the gas instead of the RPM's increasing they went down like something was pinching a line when I put my foot on the gas. Needless to say I brought it back to the mechanic after babying it back because it kept shutting off. Shutting off meaning at a certain point the lights lit up on the dash again and the engine shuts off but I'm still moving so I drift to the side of the road until I stop. Where I then restart it and go as far as I can. The mechanic worked on it for 2 weeks calling the Manufacturers of Chevrolet and the fuel pump trying to figure out what it was. He tried the grounds, the fuel injectors, dropped the gas tank half a dozen times, changed the fuel pump a bunch more times but he can't figure out what it is. (he's pretty mad too because he's never not been able to fix a car) I'm about to give up and have been looking at getting a new car but wanted to see if there were some things that might help.

Thanks!!!!! Morgan

Side notes: Starter is going and will replace if the problem can be solved, have recently played with the mulifunction switch to find out it was a flasher bulb,had a weird issue with the car staying running after taking key outrandomly stopped butthinking it was an electrical issue....thinking about changing the relay

I'm a 21 year old female who desperately wants to keep her blazer running especially with how much money I've put into it. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Tried to include as much information as possible.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Pump Issues save my truck!

well for the last 3 nights my blazer will be running fine and then il step on the pedal and it bogs down same as yours with the rpm gauge. il pull to the side of the road and it will start right back up it takes maybe a half hour of driving to do it then after the first stall it stalls every mile about......im thinking maybe the filter? cause i have a bad gas leak if i fill it up past half way it pours out..and since i go offroading alot i imagine mud n whatnot gets i nthe tank and maybe its messing up my filter? i dont mean to steal your thread but if some1 answers yours it most likely will answer mine...anyway goodluck and hope our problems get solved

Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone yet while having it to work on it or yourself just having it home in the driveway let it run without driving it?? Try that idea and see if it stalls... Ive seen ign modules do that...I wouldnt think crimped hose esp if you can drive 30 minutes or even 30 miles...I`m not sure about this idea but maybe a fuel pump relay!! Also you mention its bad when trying to climb hills!!! Severely clogged cat conv?? any wierd smells from the exhaust area??? Check eng lights?????

Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM

my check engine light came on but 10 min later went back off...it does that alot,,,,even tho my blazers got severe issues she always starts

Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM

what code # is being set?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM

its beyond me...do you think the filter could be the problem?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM

try replacing that and see what happens, they prob dont cost too much.. And if you have that cracked tank and dirt is getting in it could be clogging the filter on the pump........

Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please have some respect for the original poster here guys... Way to hijack a thread in under a half hour...

Its supper time for me right now or I would respond to the OP.

Felony, please create a new thread on your issue...

Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Dinner time your sposed to be watching Nascar....

Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM

sorry kyle wont happen again

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Issues save my truck!