2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
blazeup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel pump questions

Hello Blazer Forum - new member and need some help plz

Am replacing the fuel pump on my 97 blazer s-10, 4.3 ltr, 4 door.

I have found a couple of pumps

1. MU112 FUEL PUMP (97 - 98 S10 BLAZER 4.3 LITER 4-DOOR)m
eBay Pump #1

and

2.MU112 FUEL PUMP (97 - 98 S10 BLAZER 4.3 LITER 4-DOOR)D
eBay Pump #2

questions are:

1. what is th diff between the "m" and the "d" on these fuel pumps i found on ebay

and

2. What impact does the fuel pressure sensor have on my vehicle?

3. Is it fairly simple to swap out the fuel pressure sensor on the pumps?

any help would be appreciated

ty

-blazeup

*EDIT by swarltkk* - Fixed long links using the hidden link feature.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road
Default RE: fuel pump questions

Who is the manufacturer of those pumps? Made in China? I would remove the pump from the truck and take it down toyour favoriteparts store so that it can be matched up exactly. I just changed my pump out 4 days ago and discovered that there are some variations, such as indexing tabs being clocked different, etc. I recommend purchasing either an Air-Tex or a Delco fuel pump. You dont want to be doing this again in a few months.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Roudy4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Deff, get a quality pump. Im a mechanic here in town and in the last 4yrs I have put probably 40 pumps in S10's and blazers. Very common problem. Ide say half of the ones I replace are cheap aftermarket ones. Cheap ones may start your truck but in time they will suffer from psi leak down, and not hold psi over night which leads to long cranking. Like lenny says you dont want to do it again. I hate doing them, and I do them on a hoist lol... Get a good pump it will pay off in the long run..
http://www.napaonline.com
http://www.autozone.com
BTW where are you located? I probably have 3 of those pump assemblys laying in my garage. We have sent a few of these trucks to the junk yards cause repairs cost more than the owner wanted to spend, and I always yank the pumps, and transfer case motors before they go.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 AM

I'm in Tulsa, OK. Needing a fuel pump. Looking to buy. Any addl info re: my blazer that you will need in order to check and see if you have one for my blazer bro?

-blazeup

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would NOT purchase those pumps. While they may be stated as being an AC Delco part number, that is where the similarities end. I also would not put in a used fuel pump. The work required to replace a pump can be time consuming.

To your question, the title is the only place where "M" and "D" are mentioned. It is quite possible that it is just the sellers way of tagging his auctions to know the differences between them.

I would recommend you purchase an AC Delco pump ONLY. They can be purchased from any local AC Delco retailer, GMPartsDirect.com, RockAuto.com, or your friendly Chevrolet dealer parts counter (haggle on the price, they can drop it to match others).

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

thanks for the info. i will not be getting the cheaper pumps as i have had many concerned with the quality and waste of time it would be to purhase and install, reinstalll, these.

ty 2 the forum

-blazeup

Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM

UPDATE:

Tks for the info about the cheap fuel pumps. I still did not get a brand new pump, but i found an oem w/ 75k miles on it. I pulled it and tested. It's now on my blazer and was running, but very rough.

So took it by and had code pulled. I was missfiring a cylinder. Fixed that in the auto zone parking lot and now is rinning better than before i had pump go out. That cylinder was misfiring at high speeds and i had no idea what it was.

So.. tks for having me steer clear of the cheap fuel pump assemblies, my used assembly im sure is better than one of the new knckoffs in the links on original post.

Now im rollin again and very smooth

-blazeup

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good. What was causing your misfire at high speeds?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM
ccyne is an unknown quantity at this point

swartlkk,
I'm curious the listed OE fuel pump at RockAuto is Delphi. You recommend AC-Delco as the OEM. Which of the two are the best and how does the Bosch pump stack up to the other two. I've got to put another one in. I've bought the Napa ones (Airtex) I think and they die right after the warranty runs out. This will be the third time I repalce it. Money is no object this time, I'm sick of buying the cheaper part, I want the best part.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator

As far as I can tell, Delphi and AC Delco both were used as OE pumps. Bosch, Airtex, and many of the other aftermarket pumps do not measure up to the AC Delco pumps. I have not used a Delphi pump.

Quick Reply: fuel pump questions