2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump replacement, am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
jzoz01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump replacement, am I getting ripped off?

The fuel pump on my 2000 blazer died over the weekend. I'm in an apartment in a new city at the moment so neither have a garage or know anyone with a garage, so I called around to service centers. I found a local NAPA service center and got a quote from them, they wanted $500 for the part and $150 for labor. I called NAPA and could walk in and buy the part for $360, when I called back the shop they wouldn't do anything on the pricing but said they would install the pump if I went and bought it. I guy and buy the pump at NAPA and drop it off at the shop. An hour later or so they call and say that yes it is indeed the pump that failed (this I already knew), but they they had way underestimated the job and now think it will be 4 1/2 hours instead of 2. I'm not really sure how long this should take, but I can't help but feel that this guy is trying to make up some lost revenue because I wouldn't buy his over priced part. Is 4 hours reasonable for this job or is two hours more reasonable?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel pump replacement, am I getting ripped off?

I was quoted here in Jersey for $620 by a local auto mechanic. Part + Repair. It is about 3-4 hours of work, you need to drop the tank in order to get to the pump anyways. I'd see about supplying the part, you may save some money if you shop around.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful when supplying your own part. Most places will not warranty a supplied part so if it craps out on you again (which unless it is an AC Delco, it is inevitable), they have no obligation to replace it.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

thier not hard to do just did one a 97. as long as your tank straps are not that rusted and you have less than a quarter tank in it its easy to do. the hard part is dropping the tank. then the next hard part is getting the pump straight up and down putting it in to get the lock ring around it.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
jzoz01 is an unknown quantity at this point

So this should in no way be a 4 1/2 hour job lie the shop is claiming?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Standard book time is 3.0hrs which does not include draining and refilling the tank which, depending on method, could take up to another 1/2hr.

The shop is building in fluff to deal with problems that may turn up. Rusted bolts, etc.