2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trans cooler mounting & such

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Trans cooler mounting & such

Have received the B&M SuperCooler trans cooler; so time to get it installed and have a couple of questions:
1) What is the flow direction of the OEM lines? Is the flow from the top line to the bottom line at the radiator connections?

2) Anyone what to share pictures of their trans cooler installs? Not a lot of room on the right side of the radiator.

3) As far as mounting the trans cooler, did you use those plastic ties that go through the condenser and radiator or fab some type of bracket?

Speaking of radiators.....I was getting drips of coolant under the Blazer at times and upon looking appeared to that the left radiator plastic tank seal had let go (again). I was in the process of removing the radiator last night and went to remove the OEM engine oil connection at the top of the radiator and lo and behold...found the coolant leak. It is the fitting into the radiator, it was loose. Never had this happen before. A few taps with a screwdriver and a small hammer to tighten it up...and all seems good. Have not driven it yet to find out for sure though...that will be after I get the trans cooler installed.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

the bottom line should be the inflow and top line is out flow.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 AM
ldf49 is on a distinguished road
Default A Great Site To Show You How To Install

You should find the answers to all of your questions on installation here: How To: B&M Supercooler Transmission Cooler - Drivetrain - Zr2USA.com Good Luck! Larry

Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Wow....yep that link covers everything.

Thanks for the link....

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Capt. Hook write up on Trans cooler install.

Do a search for Captain Hook's excellent write up on his transmission cooler install on one of his Blazers. It was very good and thorough but no photo's. It wasn't a B & M cooler, but the tips and theories would apply to your install. I think the OP question was ' Towing'.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Got the trans cooler installed yesterday, no problems. Went ahead and kept the in-radiator connections as it was just an easier install. Took the top trans line off the radiator, screwed the supplied adapter into the radiator, then took the OEM adapter off the hardline and just push the rubber hose over the flared end. Mounted the B&M cooler to the condenser using the "zip ties" instead of using the universal brackets that came with the cooler. These will be fine until I have to replace the radiator (again) then I will have to either find new "zip ties" or use those brackets.

Anyways went for a drive, then upon return check fluid level, added about 1/2 quart....no leaks...all seems good....ready for the summer heat.

And the radiator is not leaking from the engine oil cooler fitting anymore either....really good.