2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

gas mileages and tank size

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gas mileages and tank size

ok on my sticker that came with the truck when i bought it it said i have an 18.5 gallon tank but when i fill it up from basically empty i only fills to just under 15 gallons anyone else have this problem i only get 200 miles to a tank and thats a full tank running on fumes at the end i get between 13.5 and 14.5 mpg mainly city driving and when im on the highway im doin atleast 80 and ^ so what size tanks do you guys have and what do u get for gas mileage

Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: gas mileages and tank size

Fuel tank capacity is 18 gallons. I think the majority of your fuel mileage issues stem from the speeds you are running. Right now I am getting around 16mpg on my 12 mile (one-way) commute to work with signals and most of it at ~60mph. Last long drive I took was at 70mph on the interstate for 60 miles and 40 miles of surface streets at anywhere between 30 & 60mph with stops and all along the way. I got 18.5mpg on that trip with the truck loaded completely down, but this was at the end of October before the stations switched over to the reformulated fuel for the winter.

With my Bravada, I have only put more than 15 gallons in once and that was after 260 miles and 16.5 gallons were put in. But I generally fill it COMPLETELY up and it was below E! I generally put in around 15 gallons when its a bit before E. Many vehicles are at E with a few gallons to spare in the tank.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 18.5 gallon tank, I got 330 miles to my last tank. Which is like 17.8 MPG. That was with a majority of driving steady around 55 to 60 with a little bit of city driving. The most miles I have ever got out of a tank is 350 which is pretty close to 19MPG. Mine is a 2door. I would think they would do slightly better than a 4door cause of the weight difference but I'm not sure about that.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:53 AM
LittleDan911 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm With RedBlaze But Mine Is A 4Dr..... But I Also Get On It Everyonce And A While... LOL

Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

The owner's manual for my '91 2dr 4X4 says my tank holds 20 gal. When the gauge says close to empty, I fill it up, and I have only used 13-14 gallons. So I use my trip odometer and fill up when it says between 200-250 miles. I could go further, but it makes me nervous to drive around with the gauge on empty. And someone told me it is less stress on the fuel pump if you don't get too close to empty.

As for mileage, I recently improved mine from 16 to 17 mpg by filling up the tires to the recommended 35psi and unloading the stuff I'd been carrying around. This is for a combination of around town, short freeway trips, and country roads.

Seems from past discussions that quite a few Blazer owners have inaccurate or erratic gas gauges.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:18 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

i got 18.5 mpg when I went to see my bro. Intown driving with my lead foot an 5sp I get 13 to 14 but thats with a bad O2 senser.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I am getting conflicting capacities on the tank. 2 sources say 18gallons, but 3 others say 18.5gallons. Whatever it is, I have never put in more than ~16.5gallons.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

What a lot of people don't know is that those estimates of fuel economy on the window sticker are taken at 45 mph. If you're running on the highway going 70 or 80, then your gas mileage is going to suck.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Administrator

That is why the automakers are being forced to do real world tests under real conditions for fuel mileage claims. It has gone on WAY too long for cars claiming 30mpg but only getting 22mpg. Especially with these hybrids that claim 55mpg, but in real world tests can't even average 25mpg. Why spend the extra $5-10k for a hybrid if it can barely beat the gas only engine in fuel mileage. At that rate, it would take MANY years past the vehicles projected life span to pay off.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:45 PM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point

i get normaly about 17.5 mpg and have never put more than 15 in, i tend to have a lead foot too, it was worse before i got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor

Quick Reply: gas mileages and tank size