2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas Smell and Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Victoriajac is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Gas Smell and Rough Ride

Just bought a 1995 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 V6. (I am a girl that has little knowledge about vehicles, so excuse me if I explain this weird lol) It is not 4wd. When I test drove it the blazer ran a little rough, but the seller said clean the egr valve and new fuel filter was needed. I took his word. Since then I have had an oil change, tune up, replaced a belt, egr valve, and fuel fitler. Also had the sensors cleaned with some spray cleaner. (all done by my brother). I now smell straight gas when the blazer is running and it seems to idle rougher. Was told by mechanic it is the spyder (fuel injector) and they quoted $900.00 without looking at it. My problem is I don't understand why the smell became so bad after my brother did all these repairs. I believe I smelled a little gas before the repairs, but not like this. Could he have messed something up or damaged something? There is no visible leak under the vehicle when it runs. Please help. This is my everyday vehicle now and I am worried to drive my son in it Thanks.

Last edited by Victoriajac; 03-31-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: incorrect typing
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You need to go into the FIRST GEN FORUMS and have a look at any posts that say SPIDER or CPI in them... You will find all the help you need on replacing it, and it will cost you no more than 300 bucks to order the parts online. Take it apart first and see whats leaking before you buy parts cause the 300 is worst case... Does your oil smell gassy??? Thats a dead giveaway of a leak inside the plenum.

Anyhow, go into those forums and all of us that hang out there will help you get your truck running once again. This is the place to be and there is a ton of helpful dudes and dudettes around here that check in daily to help other owners.

BTW you prolly didnt need a new EGR, just a good cleaning and test to see if its sticking open, which would make you stall dead. And when the intake is apart you will get an opportunity to clean the pasages a little better for the EGR too.

Tools you and your brother will need to crack open the plenum are a 10MM deep socket, and T25 or T30 torx bit screw driver, a flat screwdriver... And an hour of your time, thats it. Its an easy job to do just be very careful not to drop anything down the 2 pairs of 3 holes that you will see under it. I like to ball up a papertowel and stuff it in the holes just in case something slipped.... cheap insurance.

List of parts you might need:
Nut kit
Spider unit
FPR
(or you can get a kit for about 299 that has all 3 parts new, or pull them all at the wreckers for practice on taking yours apart)
Plenum gasket (10 bucks tops) you can reuse the old one if its not torn
2 cans of carn cleaner or combustion chamber cleaner to clean up all the black soot you will see when the plenum is off.
stuff for an oil change so you can get the gas and junk you clean up out of the crankcase.

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-31-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Victoriajac is on a distinguished road
Smile Thanks!

Thank you for your quick response. I am very excited now and happy to see your much lower price. I hope to try this repair this weekend and will let you know. THANKS again!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to 2nd Gen Tech* - Headers, Intake, & Exhaust is for discussing modifications to said areas, not problems with said areas.