2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gear ratio question(s) fellas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by shotnva777

If I'm wrong.... where can I find the replacement 4.10 gears for front and rear online? Can't seem to find them anywhere! Though I HOPE HOPE HOPE I can use the stock ones, because I'm sure it'll put a lesser of a dent in my pocket!!!
Whered you look? Mars? FYI the front is 8.25" IFS and the rear should be 7.625".
I
Summit Racing

Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Whered you look? Mars? FYI the front is 8.25" IFS and the rear should be 7.625".
I
Summit Racing
8.25 is what the full size trucks have. Ours are 7.2.

Also where did you find that blazers came with 4.10s Im pretty sure the lowest they came from the factory was 3.73

Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

Do you know how to set backlash, preload and pinion depth? Have a Dial indicator and case spreader?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
I
Summit Racing
nice try.... guess you looked on mars!

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
8.25 is what the full size trucks have. Ours are 7.2.

Also where did you find that blazers came with 4.10s Im pretty sure the lowest they came from the factory was 3.73
I got it from here my friend.... https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...ar-ratio-5801/

Originally Posted by Raybz
Do you know how to set backlash, preload and pinion depth? Have a Dial indicator and case spreader?
And again... thank you for trying to ruin my dreams. First thread I've had on this site where everyone is being a smartass. Or what I presume TRYING to be a smartass. Sad. Lets not turn into a Vadriven.com type site.... PLEASE! And just try to help one another. For your info, I have a mechanic that said he'd do it for 100 bucks WITH THE TOOLS AND KNOWLEDGE!!!! SO HA!!!!

Last edited by shotnva777; 10-10-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Nobody was trying to be a smartass, we were in fact trying to help by MAKING SURE YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING BEFORE YOU SCREWED UP YOUR TRUCK! Geez... why should we continue trying to help by making sure you have the tools and know-how when you're going to be like that?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Nobody was trying to be a smartass, we were in fact trying to help by MAKING SURE YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING BEFORE YOU SCREWED UP YOUR TRUCK! Geez... why should we continue trying to help by making sure you have the tools and know-how when you're going to be like that?
I never suggested you bro... look at who I quoted. The thread started as can I take the 4.10 gears out of stock 97 blazer and throw them in my differentials, thats it! That's the only question(s) I needed answers too. The "well I hope you know how to do this and that and this and that and this..." and the "where'd you look MARS?! OUR TRUCKS COME WITH (incorrect info)" post were irrelevent and rude IMO. Nonetheless, thanks for everyone who stayed on topic and tried to help... including YOU "therandom1". No hard feelings, it just sucks when you get a bunch of "think they know it all's" trying to ruin your hopes because they're miserable. Guess that's why they say "misery enjoys company" though huh?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I knew you weren't referring to me... but he posted valid information (wrong, sure, but honest information he thought was right) and asked you a very valid question, and you jumped on him. Why would people continue to help you (the rest of us who also gave good valid information) if you're going to go off on the dude like that?

That's the best way of making sure nobody helps you in the future.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

I wasn't trying to be a smartass! It's a legit question! I have seen way too many guys that think swapping gears is a walk in the park and have destroyed their diffs and came to me to do the job for them which costs a new gear set plus my time/fee. You never said that you were having someone do the job or help you do it. Not trying to shatter your dreams either. Doing gears is a BIG deal! I was asking to see if you knew what you were getting into. If you think that's sad well that's on YOU. I won't offer any advise or ask you anymore pertinent questions as you obviously know more about it than I do! Good luck with your gear change.

Last edited by Raybz; 10-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I know Kyle posted the RPO codes that inlcude the 4.10 GT5 ratio, but I believe that that ratio was only available on the S-series trucks that were 2wd with a 4 banger. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm basing my statment on a fair bit of research on this and other S-series forums. From reading on ZR2USA.com and Desertdimes.com even all the ZR2's came with 3.73 gears. I think you could probably find the rear end with 4.10 gears pretty easy, but I doubt that you'll find a s10 (Blazer, Jimmy, S10, Sonoma) front differential with 4.10 gears. My guess is that if you want 4.10 gears you'll have to order them from a shop.

If anyone has information that would show I'm wrong please correct me, and post up a link. I'd rather be proven wrong than provide incorrect information.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 10-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Raybz
I wasn't trying to be a smartass! It's a legit question! I have seen way too many guys that think swapping gears is a walk in the park and have destroyed their diffs and came to me to do the job for them which costs a new gear set plus my time/fee. You never said that you were having someone do the job or help you do it. Not trying to shatter your dreams either. Doing gears is a BIG deal! I was asking to see if you knew what you were getting into. If you think that's sad well that's on YOU. I won't offer any advise or ask you anymore pertinent questions as you obviously know more about it than I do! Good luck with your gear change.
No, no.... I guess I just took everything the wrong way, just the way you posted it I suppose. I took offense to it, but its no biggie. I still believe the guy who posted "I looked on mars" was trying to be a smarty pants with incorrect info, but again... everythings cool and I'm always open to suggestions. But just so everyone knows, I would never get myself into something I couldn't handle without fully understanding it or having someone to help that does. Period.

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
I know Kyle posted the RPO codes that inlcude the 4.10 GT5 ratio, but I believe that that ratio was only available on the S-series trucks that were 2wd with a 4 banger. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm basing my statment on a fair bit of research on this and other S-series forums. From reading on ZR2USA.com and Desertdimes.com even all the ZR2's came with 3.73 gears. I think you could probably find the rear end with 4.10 gears pretty easy, but I doubt that you'll find a s10 (Blazer, Jimmy, S10, Sonoma) front differential with 4.10 gears. My guess is that if you want 4.10 gears you'll have to order them from a shop.

If anyone has information that would show I'm wrong please correct me, and post up a link. I'd rather be proven wrong than provide incorrect information.
Well maybe we could use the STOCK ones out of the "junked" vehicles your talking about in the rear and then just purchase the front gears from a supplier?? You could still save a helluva lot of money!! You get what I'm saying??

Quick Reply: Gear ratio question(s) fellas!