2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hard to start, rpm jumps and feels like running out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Cherie Melara is on a distinguished road
Unhappy hard to start, rpm jumps and feels like running out of gas

2000 Chevy blazer cranks a couple times before it will start. When you get going about 40-50 mph the rpm start going up and down and feels like its going to run out of gas. I've replaced the starter,alternator,battery and I need this for work I've been told I need change fuel filter but afraid its the pump. I don't have money to go to garage I need help to try myself to figure this out.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place. This link explains how to check the fuel delivery system. Post all 4 readings and we can help analyze them. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Old 03-19-2016, 11:47 AM
bandit_60 is on a distinguished road

welcome ! sounds like the fuel filter needs to be changed ! a fuel filter wouldn't run no more then $20.00 at Advance or Auto zone ! I would go that route first before changing the pump ! best of luck ! I have a 99 blazer and a filter for mine at Advance cost about $15.00.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:06 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bandit_60
welcome ! sounds like the fuel filter needs to be changed ! a fuel filter wouldn't run no more then $20.00 at Advance or Auto zone ! I would go that route first before changing the pump ! best of luck ! I have a 99 blazer and a filter for mine at Advance cost about $15.00.
If you are going to crawl under there to change the filter, you may as well check the output of the pump while you are down there. Especially if the pump is in question...

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I would check the fuel pressure first. No sense in throwing money into something thats not needed

Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 PM
bandit_60 is on a distinguished road

check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail ! there is a small valve you screw a tester on to check the fuel pressure and volume ! if it seems low then it could be a dirty fuel filter ! if it's still the same once you change the filter then it could be a bad regulator !

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Cherie Melara is on a distinguished road

Well I am changed fuel filter and still does it! I beginning to hate this vehicle. I'm reading all this stuff posted on here and its stressing me out thinking how much more money is it going to cost me..I wish I had all these tools myself BC I would day on sure try to fix it then keep putting money out to others and still need more done. I maybe a woman but I can do it if I have the stuff and someone to tell me.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place. This link explains how to check the fuel delivery system. Post all 4 readings and we can help analyze them. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/
Well, time to check the fuel pump now Captain will help you through the process if you need help!!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Always diagnose before throwing money at it

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you stop guessing, and start diagnosing, (see post #2) you will find the problem, and repair it at the lowest possible cost

Quick Reply: hard to start, rpm jumps and feels like running out of gas