2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HAVING TROUBLE! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM
97Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HAVING TROUBLE! PLEASE HELP!

I replaced the heating core on my 97 blazer LT and now the car is acting up. I can't take the key out of the ignition, the engine check light is on, ABS light is on, doors have to be locked manually, when i turn on the high beam.....the right signal turns on but doesn't blink, and the radio does not function. Could it be the theftlock on the radio and is there one on the car? I checked all of the plugs and harnesses on the dash and everything is inserted correctly. If it is the theftlock....how do you turn it off? ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HAVING TROUBLE! PLEASE HELP!

Try disconnecting you battery for like a hour and put it back and see if that will work.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:05 PM

I tried disconnecting the battery and that didnt work. I still dont know what to do. Any Advice?

Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pull the dash apart again and retrace your steps one by one. If the keyless entry isn't working, chances are you didn't plug the RKE module back in. It is located directly behind the DLC (data link connector) in the drivers side footwell.

On the turn signals, does this only happen on one side? How about the 4-ways? Do they work correctly?

Check all your fuses to make sure that something isn't blown. If you see blown fuses and everything worked correctly before you disassembled/reassembled the dash, chances are that you pinched a wire and are shorting out the harness. NOT GOOD!

I know it is a pain in the butt, but you really need to go back through EVERYTHING to track down the problem and hopefully you find the problem. If a wire is shorting out and has not blown a fuse, it has the potential to cause a fire.

*EDIT* - I really don't know why disconnecting the battery was suggested... Really doesn't do anything but reset the computer and given the wide spread issues, wouldn't be on the first page of things I would try...

Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 PM

The hazard lights don't work. As for the high beam.......only the right signal comes on but does not blink....i will try your suggestions and update the results. thanks.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Default RE: Any more suggestions!

I used your suggestions, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any more advice? I can use some right about now. thanks.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 AM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

When you changed the heater core, to what extent did you break down the steering column? All the things you list having problems with are controlled with items linked through the large box-like wiring harness that's under the steering column. I recently changed out my module inside the steering column that holds the blinker controls, hi-beam/ wipers/cruise, etc... I wonder if maybe you have the two outside portions of teh wiring harness reversed... or of one side popped out of the wiring harness and isn't making a good connection. That's really the main thing that's in common for the items you listed.

G'Luck, and keep us up to date on the fix.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 AM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW - I DO suggest disconnecting the battery when fiddling with the wiring harness that I mentioned, as the airbag harness is immediately behind the big main harness (on my Blazer, anyway) - and you sure don't want anything popping a bag while your under the dash... Just a safety measure...

Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I definitely agree on disconnecting the battery before ANY repair, but when you are trying to find a wiring fault, many times you need power to everything.

Sorry that you couldn't find the problem. I still think that something had to have gone back together wrong in the reassembly process. I'm not knocking your skills in one bit. I've been where you are (had to remove the entire dash out of one of our tractor trailers) before and I know what its like. I had to get back into the dash to get a wire out from behind one of the brackets. The wire had shorted out, but looked fine after removing the dash again (until I rolled the wire over to see the crushed and burnt insulation. But I didn't find that until I was putting the dash back together agian frustrated.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys....I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I will keep you updated on my progress. hopefully, this will do the trick.