2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Headache Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headache Brakes!

My brakes squeek and my rotors warp!
Ever since I replaced my warped rotors (I did pads at the same time) about six months ago, I have had a horrible squeek and the rotors are already warped again. I got the cheapest pads and rotors so that's probably most of the problem, but still I want to know what to get so that I won't be talking about this again in another six months.

I don't ride the brakes hard and the truck isn't any heavier than normal (I don't tow or anything). I torque the wheels in a star pattern, so there'sno problem there. They squeek even when i'm putting no preasure on the peddle, so I'm not sure what's going on. I noticed a slight change in the amount ofsqueek whenI turn the wheel. I was reading some posts about this and noticed something about the wear indicators maybe being bent in too far. I'm going to take a look at this if it ever stops raining here in Detroit.

I want to get some new rotors, but I want some that will last, or are atleast under warranty for a couple years. And as for pads, should I get expensive ones or is it a waste of money? Right now I have the cheap ones from murray's, same for the rotors.

So far I'm planning on replacing the pads and rotors with some good ones that will do the job without crapping out soon. I'm also going to flush the fluid system so if this doesn't work I'm going to be really perplexed.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 AM
2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Headache Brakes!

Personally i would get the pads and rotors fom a dealership. i have the same problem, mine squeek too. theyre pads and rotors from an autoparts store.my rotors arent in bad shape, they arent warping or anything so i put some adhesive lubricant on all the contact points and it seems to work alright. But i would get the parts from a dealership andnot from an autoparts store.i got myplug wires from Napa and they didnt even last a year. so i gotnew plug wires , distributor cap and rotor from a chevy dealership and its alot better. so thats my thoughts on that.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Dealership parts are not exactly necessary. Good quality parts are very necessary!

One thing that I have to ask. When you replaced the pads, did you remove, clean, and re-lubricate the slider pins? This is a crucial step in the brake replacement process.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM

I lubed them up but I didn't clean them very well. It seemed like they slid ok at the time so I didn't paymuch attention to them. But it does seem like they could be a problem in this since they squeek when I'm not pushing the brake peddle at all. Like I said I'm going to jump on this as soon as it isn't raining and I have enough time.

Can you recomend some pads and rotors that will do the job for a decent price?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 AM

Update:

Got some ceramic brake pads for about 42 dollars from Murray's and some rotors, which are about 60 dollars each...this isfor theback.And the guy told me that when Iinstall correctlyit won't squeek and scratch at all. I'm installing on wednesday cause it won't be raining, so we'll see if this takes care of my problem, what do you guys think?

BTW I'll be doing the same to the front only withbetter rotors before too long.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure the Caliper Pins are clean and you greased the Sh*t out of themwhen you install the new pads.....

Old 05-06-2007, 09:14 PM

I replaced the parts and had some trouble with the pins, three out of four were stuck, and due to a time crunch I couldn't do anything about it, so I'll have to take them apart again and grease them up. Other than that they sound and work much better!