2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cylinders filling with fuel

Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
MAD02 is on a distinguished road
Question Cylinders filling with fuel

Ok quick background on the truck. Its a 1996 Blazer my wife bought a couple of months ago. Over those months it began to misfire, sometimes badly, mostly while under load. Had the CEL and code P0300 for multiple misfires. Checked the fuel pressure, that was good. I pulled the distributor and noticed that the dist. gear was worn. I replaced the distributor and marked the location of the rotor and dist. on the firewall, installed new dist. and rotor according to the markings.

While I had the distributor out I decided to remove the upper intake manifold and remove and clean the "spider" and the poppet(is that what they're called?) valves. There was quite a bit of crud so I gave them a blast of carb cleaner and cleaned them with a toothbrush. I replaced everything and the install went smoothly. Then......

I cranked the motor and it started for about 5 seconds, ran rough and turned off. I tried to start it again but it refused to turn over. Like if something was keeping the engine from spinning. Thinking I mistakenly dropped something into the intake manifold, I removed the entire intake manifold to make sure. Thankfully, I had not dropped anything into the engine, but I did see that cylinders 5 and 6 were full of gas. Huh? The other cylinders were fine. I checked the "spider" and found no leaks of any kind.

I removed the sparkplugs and let them drain out. I cranked the engine to remove the rest. I then replaced everything and tried to start the car. The exact same thing happened. When I removed the spark plug on #5, gas poured out again, though not as much as the first time.

Im totally confused and really need to get this truck fixed. This is my wife's only vehicle and she needs it badly for work. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
David

Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM
spittybays

STOP DOING THAT!!! Your hydro locking the motor. If it lights off again you will most likely destroy the motor.
Sounds like when you were cleaning you jammed open one of the poppet valves on five and six.
Pull the plugs and spin it to clear.
You can take the plenum off disconnect the coil wirer pull the poppet's out re-connect the power module to the spyder, plenum off. Have someone spin it and see what's going on. You might if your lucky be able to get them unstuck with a pair of tweezers.

If there stuck the only "approved method" is to replace the lines and valves to the ones that are stuck. This will cost you more then a "new" rebuilt spyder.