2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

decode vin to find axle ratio

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
DaleA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default decode vin to find axle ratio

Is there a way to tell me what the vin says about my gear ratio and such? I have looked everywhere I can think and can find no RPO codes whatsoever. Also, I was looking at the rear diff and what are the two protrusions or tabs that look like 1/2 a square or a triagle on bottom. Here's my vin. 1GNDT13W8Y2334167.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: decode vin to find axle ratio

Phone the dealer give them the vin they can tell you everything about your truck

Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Oh BTW I have a 2000 4 dr LS 4wd

Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

RPO codes are in your glove box.

Edit: Here are the rpo codes for gear ratios
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56

G80 - locking differential

Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 PM

I thought the codes would be in the glove box from searching rpo' s here. There is nothing anywhere in the glovebox. It must have been not included. No one has taken it out as I have been owner since new. I know I'm pathetic but after 9 years and. 92000 miles I'm finally starting to be nice to it. I do remember the sticker at the dealer saying limited slip, but I don't remember a gear ratio.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
1991whiteoutblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Shouldn't the RPO label be ATTACHED to the inside of the glovebox?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Yep I thought so too. My 95 s10. P/up with 198000 miles 2.2 4.cyl 5 spd 2wd (al by me the only thing done ever was 2 mufflers and ball joints 5000 miles ago. Mobil 1 synthetic always and a tune up every 50000 miles) even has one. Not the Blazer though. I did call home just now and my wife got the window sticker from the file cabinet and it says limited slip 3.42 ratio w/ heavy duty tow package. Not sure what heavy duty is but it came with hitch and lwire harnes with electric brake and an extra 12V lead wired in. She also said the book says 5600lb tow rating at 3.42. Maybe she should be on the forun instead of me. The sticker after all options was $26,499 in 2000. My nephew just bought a 2009 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 door p/up with 5.3 v8 for $26,000

Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, it should. By the way-after all these years, why do you want to know now?? Just curious? Jerry PS I second the dealer notion if you've got no sticker. Have em pull a VSS on your vehicle from 'dealer world' if they would-there will be a wealth of neat info -if they will do it! Jerry[:-]

Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Actually I was. Justcurious to know the gear ratio. The Blazer has not been a bad vehicle really. Its been back and forth across the u.s. A few times (think Lampoons vacation). Its had balljoints at 5000 under waranty, external oil lines twice under waranty 2 tune ups, 1 trans filter change, ball joints this summer, new radiator this summer (the plastic end cap on drivers side cracked about 4 inches long. Never seen that before. Also, the dex-cool that has been replaced once 4 years ago with more Dex-cool left the old radiator looking perfect with no deposits, sluge or any other malady I've heard of.). I'm mainly worried about the transmission now as I've been towing 5000 lbs plus over last 8 years many times per month. I've finally put on a trans cooler and am changing to synthetic fluid this weekend. Maybe a B&M shift kit to hellp prolong life a bit. I was not aware the 4l60e trans was a week point. It still runs perfect but I'm not gonna take chances due to what I've put her through already. Also this fall I replaced fuel pump and fuel filter for the first time, and sway bar bushings . I think this summer though ill retire her from pulling the horses and buy a Duramax diesel. I kinda like the new body style for chevy. I think I've been lucky so far maitenence wise.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: DaleA

...I was not aware the 4l60e trans was a week point...
[]Whoever told you that probably believes that Dexcool is thecause of the intake gasket cooling leaks, also. The 460LE is a strong, dependable transmission. Look at how many millions of them there are in service. It simply must be maintained correctly as any tranny must be.

Quick Reply: decode vin to find axle ratio