2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heat Wont Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
redfan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heat Wont Stop

So the heat in my blazer (98 LS 4x4) wont turn off. If i have the dials turned off it still blows out heat, and hot. And i can even turn on full blast Max AC and it blows pure heat.
What would cause that?
The car isn't running hot, or cold. The temp on the gauge is normal.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Heat Wont Stop

I'm having the same problem.....It doesn't happen all of the time, but what does happen all of the time is the a/c not working. The clutch on the compressor kicks in,but no a/c...Fully charged system also....Living in Florida, this could be a problem!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a blown temperature door actuator. Do either of you have the automatic temperature control HVAC system?

Actually, it doesn't matter if you have auto hvac or manual except for one step at the end of the replacement procedure:
Temperature Actuator

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
The air temperature actuator is located on the top right hand side of the heater/vent module.

1. Remove the instrument panel carrier.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector (2).

3. Remove the air temperature actuator retaining screws.
4. Remove the air temperature actuator from the heater/vent module.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the air temperature actuator to the heater/vent module. Ensure that the actuator is seated on the locating tab. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
2. Install the air temperature actuator retaining screws. Tighten Tighten to 1.9 N.m (17 lb ft) .

3. Connect the electrical connector (2).
4. Install the instrument panel carrier.
5. Perform the following procedure in order to initialize the air temperature actuator on vehicles equipped with automatic climate control (C68).

5.1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.2. Remove the RDO BATT fuse for 10 seconds .
5.3. Reinstall the RDO BATT fuse.
5.4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5.5. Ensure that the air temperature actuator cycles through the hot and cold range.

6. Perform a heater output temperature check. Refer to Heater Output Temperature Check.

For a description of the RPO Code(s) shown in this article/image, refer to the RPO Code List found at Vehicle/Application ID.
Now, it says in step 1 to remove the dash carrier (i.e. the whole dash)! If you have a low profile screw driver (one with a bit and a small rachet handle), you may be able to remove it with the dash in place. Drop your glove box down out of the way to get a better picture of where you have to go to.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Yeah..I have the computer climate control

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Is this a common problem? And one last question, are they two different parts for the manual and the auto temp control? I found some on ebay but it says manual...they look the same though. Thanks a bunch

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM

Is this a common problem? And one last question, are they two different parts for the manual and the auto temp control? I found some on ebay but it says manual...they look the same though. Thanks a bunch

Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not consider this to be a common problem (even though there are two of you having this problem at the same time right now).

For the Automatic Climate Control, here is my quote from another thread:
ORIGINAL by swartlkk

GMPartsDirect.com shows $115 for the RPO C68 auto climate control temp actuator #89018365 (AC Delco #1572971). That is the correct, updated part number for this actuator. And yes, this part gets used on a LOT of other vehicles.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
adrian5229 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was reading thru most of the threads with heater problem and this is similiar to the prob that i currently have.

1998 Blazer LT.
I dropped my glove box and seen a whole bunch of wires as per diagram. but its rather hard to reach or feel. I have a passenger air bag should this be removed in order for better acsess?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 PM
adrian5229 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my blind eyes. So i have finally found it, but now my hands are just too big to fit in there to remove it. is there an easier way to remove dash?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my 98 Lt, you have to swing the part in front of it out of the way in order to replace it. Yes, there are two different parts, if you have the auto climate control make sure you ask for that specific part, it won't work with the manual. I found instructions on how to replace the blend door, once I find them I'll add to this post

This link helped me with replacing the actuator, hope it helps
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t574779.html