2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

heater/AC contol problem on 97 blazer 4 door LT

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
caprini83 is on a distinguished road
Default heater/AC contol problem on 97 blazer 4 door LT

Okay so here is the deal the speed settings for the heater and AC only works on high, any ideas why it doesn't blow air in any of the other speeds? Also is there a way to have fresh air in without having the AC on?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Beginning Member
MLRS327 is on a distinguished road

No fan at all on other speeds or can only feel it on high? Check to make sure air is not blowing out ALL vents, floor, defrost and front at the same time. If that is the case, its a vacuum problem or something with the blend door. Common problem is the vacuum line coming disconnected from the vacuum canister, or what ever its called, at the tee on the drivers side near firewall. Only know this from experience. If fan does not work at all on other speeds, no ideas, sorry.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MLRS327
No fan at all on other speeds or can only feel it on high? Check to make sure air is not blowing out ALL vents, floor, defrost and front at the same time. If that is the case, its a vacuum problem or something with the blend door. Common problem is the vacuum line coming disconnected from the vacuum canister, or what ever its called, at the tee on the drivers side near firewall. Only know this from experience. If fan does not work at all on other speeds, no ideas, sorry.

I can't feel anything on the other speeds at all, only on high.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Pewter2002 is on a distinguished road

This is manual temp control, correct?
Fan speed: Probably a bad fan switch or fan resistor pack. If you have a "cut here for service" area on the black HVAC box under the hood near the blower motor, AND if you have an electrical connector in the center of that area, that is your resistor pack. Have to cut that section out and unscrew the pack to replace.
Air control: Turning your selector to vent or floor does not turn the compressor on unless you have a switch malfunction.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Where can I find the replacement pack and the hose I have to cut at?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search for "blower+motor+resistor" (without the quotes) and you should find the information you seek.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 AM
mierze is on a distinguished road

if you can change the air routing (defrost, bi-lev, vent, etc) but the fan is only on high, then your fan resistor pack is blown. if you cant change the routing (meaning it is stuck on defrost), then you have a vacuum issue. a vacuum issue will usually cause the 4wd function to stop working.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by mierze
if you can change the air routing (defrost, bi-lev, vent, etc) but the fan is only on high, then your fan resistor pack is blown. if you cant change the routing (meaning it is stuck on defrost), then you have a vacuum issue. a vacuum issue will usually cause the 4wd function to stop working.

I can change the air routing, that still works, so I guess the resister pack is bad. Would a vacuum issue cause a AWD to not work as well? My blazer is a AWD, but it works perfect.
Is there a thread somewhere that will show me how to change the resister pack?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Being AWD, there is no vacuum actuated items in the drivetrain.

Run the search I suggested above. With a little bit of reading, you'll find more than enough info.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Pewter2002 is on a distinguished road

Here is a good thread, see about halfway down.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-31511/