2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP! #4 fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I have to tilt the wheel down

Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM
shleprock is on a distinguished road

I've removed the the trim, but havn't removed the instrument panel yet. The trim is tricky, have you tried lowering your steering wheel? I found a trick on the internet to tell if there is a short in the fuse line! Using and old standard headlight, attach the connectors to the fuse outlet that you want to test, turn the key to the ON position, and if there is a short the light will go on! While the light is on, try shaking all the different wire looms and anywhere you think the short mite be, if the light flickers or goes out, thats where your short is! On my car, the #4 fuse lights up really bright, and the #5 fuse lights up about half as bright! Dose anyone know what that means????

Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member
Alphadog is on a distinguished road

sounds like a short in fuse 5.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM

If i have a short in the #4 and #5 fuses, do they ever cross paths, or does it mean they are shorting out at the fuse box?? Do they share a common HOT or GROUND??

Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

I don't know does your number 5 fuse pop also? it is for the 02 sensor heat dr, egr, cam sensor, cann and purge. About your fuse 4. I found my short. It is on the transmission. there are 2 connectors on the driver side of the tranny. behind and above shift linkage. Apperantly the prior owner had cracked the housing where the shift indicator switch plugs in. Temporary fix was unplug and replug both connectors but not all the way. I need to get to a wrecking yard and find a replacement housing if it's even possible for them to be removed/replaced. worth a shot to look at if you haven't found the problem anywhere else. Goodluck!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 PM

The #5 fuse does not pop, but seems to have a short in it! Is there any way to tell if the #4 fuse and #5 fuse are shorting across to each other right at the fuse panel?? I'm glad to hear you found your problem!! So, where was the short, in the connector, or the shift indicator switch? also where are the Cann and purge located?

Last edited by shleprock; 10-30-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member

If it is not popping it is probably ok. You can check the fuse block easy enough. Just remove the screw that holds it in place and drop it down to get access to inspect it from below the dash after removing the kick panel (I think that is what it is called) My short looks like it could be in the housing that the electrical plugs into. There is a piece broken. Looks like the Transmission has been jacked up to remove the Trans pan to get to the filter. There is a torsion bar right above the switches. Looks like it could be a common problem. If your tranny fluid has ever been changed then you could have the same issue.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Did the short go away just by unpluging the connectors?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Beginning Member

yes, but the vehicle won't start with them unplugged. But you can turn the key on and see if the fuse blows. By the way, I picked up a circuit breaker for mine I got tired of blowing fuses troubleshooting the problem. It cost me about 4 bucks. Well worth it.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 AM

Yes they are I got one after I blew about 10 fuses! lol I already had unpluged the connectors there, so i don't think thats my problem! I get a funny reading from the wire going from the starter sileniod to the ignition, with my test light connected to positive I touch a bare spot on the wire and it lights up. Shouldn't that wire be neutral? and then hot when I turn the key to start????

Quick Reply: HELP! #4 fuse keeps blowing