2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help! 5 digit code lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
luketherocker is on a distinguished road
Default Help! 5 digit code lost

Hi, I'm from Italy and I have a 1999 S10 Blazer LT.
I lost my remote and I'm unable to fire the engine since vehicle is equipped with immobilizer.
Manual says that I have to keep the door unlock button pressed then I have to turn the key on then off then on and off again. When the SECURITY light is on I should press the rear fog light switch to enter the 5 digit security code (that should be on the plate in the glovebox), but no 5 digit code is written anywhere.
Can anyone help me with this? Local dealer does not.
Thanks
Luca

Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first I have heard of such a system... The only security code that I know of is part of the radio system and would not prohibit starting...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by luketherocker
Hi, I'm from Italy and I have a 1999 S10 Blazer LT.
I lost my remote and I'm unable to fire the engine since vehicle is equipped with immobilizer.
Manual says that I have to keep the door unlock button pressed then I have to turn the key on then off then on and off again. When the SECURITY light is on I should press the rear fog light switch to enter the 5 digit security code (that should be on the plate in the glovebox), but no 5 digit code is written anywhere.
Can anyone help me with this? Local dealer does not.
Thanks
Luca
sounds like you might be doomed to kissing but at your gm dealer to get it working.
ive never heard of anything like that before

just had a thought in case you want to call them. gm customer service 1-800-222-1020. you being in italy im not sure how you can call the usa but you have the #

Last edited by cc4usa; 12-05-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member
mfd70 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have the remote then the engine will start then cut out after about a second. Now one day my remote threw a wobbly and wouldn't unlock the vehicle, so to re-syncronize the unit I had to hold down lock & unlock keys together until the locks locked unlocked and relocked again, if you have the key-fob this may work. If you don't have the fob I don't know how to overide but guess there must be some way to get it started, even if it is just to drive to your GM dealer to buy a replacement fob !

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member
not_only is on a distinguished road

This problem only occurs in european models of the Blazer (I have the same problem here in Germany but my remote still is ok). The european immobilizer lets you start the car 2 minutes after opening the door with the remote. No transponder in the key. According to the manual there should be a label in the glove box with the key on it. When I bought my used car there was only a label with the RPO codes in the glove box. No 5 digit code. The manual also says it is an Passlock II Immo.
I sent a mail to Chevrolet Germany with this problem last week but still got no answer.
In a german forum I read that the immo can be discarded with the
Tech II .Will send new reply as soon as Chevy answers.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
luketherocker is on a distinguished road

According to answer from the German guy, this happens only on European models of Blazer.
Regards
Luca

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Thank you for the number. I contacted them by mail but they told me they just are able to assist U.S. customers.

Thank you for your answer. I went to local GM Dealer, but they don't know how to manage this.

Originally Posted by not_only
This problem only occurs in european models of the Blazer (I have the same problem here in Germany but my remote still is ok). The european immobilizer lets you start the car 2 minutes after opening the door with the remote. No transponder in the key. According to the manual there should be a label in the glove box with the key on it. When I bought my used car there was only a label with the RPO codes in the glove box. No 5 digit code. The manual also says it is an Passlock II Immo.
I sent a mail to Chevrolet Germany with this problem last week but still got no answer.
In a german forum I read that the immo can be discarded with the
Tech II .Will send new reply as soon as Chevy answers.
Thank you for your answer.
Like in yours, inside the glove box in my car there is only a label with RPO codes. No 5 digid code.
I think that a database with matching VIN and 5 digit code should exist somewhere..
Please keep me informed when you'll get an answer from Chevy.
Thanks again for your help.
Luca

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-06-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts. Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post. The multi-quote feature can also be used to respond to multiple people in one post.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Default tech 2 scanner

get your nearest repair shop to disable the immobilizer like the German owner said. if the mechanic has one it sounds like its an easy fix.
keep us informed

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Default passkey problems

i just found this. if its of any help let me know

QUESTION: Yesterday my husband went out to start our 98 Malibu and it did not start right away, he tried again and the alarm went off, I'm assuming the car thought it was being stolen. We went through the reset process twice...turning the key to the "on" position for ten to fifteen minutes, than to the off position for ten seconds then tried to turn it on again, and nothing. We are stationed in Italy right now in the military and have no way to get the car started let alone to a Chevy repair shop...HELP, what can we do to get the car to start???

ANSWER: This is not a good place to have to deal with
a GM pass-lock system.
Sorry, but unless you have a tech near by,
this is going to be a pretty difficult.

Ok then, from your description and the
make/model/year of the car you have there,
it appears you've reset the VATS.

The car's security immobilizer
reader at the key switch
does not recognize the coded
chip in the ignition key any longer.

You can try to put the key
in the ignition, turn to the on position &
wait at least 10 mins like that.
(Do not turn off the key switch before
10 minutes as elapsed!)

Once done, the key is re-programmed and
should allow the fuel injectors to work again.
The car would start now if corrected.

In some cases, the VATS (GM'S VEHICLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM)
will re learn the code this way, and will then
allow the restart, however if this does not work,
then you can simply tow it to any GM vehicle dealer
to have the service department re code it.

There is a permanent solution though.
Adding the PLJX Self learning Bypass module (59.95)
will bypass the PASS-LOCK system in your vehicle
for good. See this at www.PASSLOCK2.com
There is also a diagram using relays there. A good
installer can follow that and repair your PASS-LOCK
issue.

im not certain if its anything like a European model but i found this on www.bing.com searching for (gm ignition immobilizer)

I hope this helps you out.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member
not_only is on a distinguished road

Hi Luca, i´ll keep you informed as soon as I get an answer from Chevrolet Europe.
I also found an old thread here in the forum from a UK - member (paulf707) who had the same problem in 2007. I visited his website and asked him by mail for a solution.
Problem of Tech II here is that most dealers tell you they only have the "Opel" software on it and they cannot read our Chevys. I cannot believe this cause both have OBD II standards since 1996.
By the way what is the number of your remote ? Mine is GM/UTA 15732810 - I found only two online dealers who offer this part.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM

the model # on your remote is just telling the style not the programming. i believe any remote compatible with the blazers will work. i replaced a faulty remote for my olds with one from a wrecking yard and had it programed in mins in my driveway

Quick Reply: Help! 5 digit code lost