2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help: Changed my intake gaskets and plugs now I got a Miss!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member
ndekens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help: Changed my intake gaskets and plugs now I got a Miss!!!

Ok, so I just did the intake gasket fix and while I was at it I decided to change my cap (mainly because I broke the old one) & rotor and install a set of plugs and wires I had for my 2000 ZR2 S-10 that I never installed. Now after I have everything installed im getting a miss and rough idle along with a check engine light. I havn't ran the codes yet and im poretty sure I got the plugs and wires installed right.

So any other opinions on what might be wrong? I notice that there is no timing adjust ments on the distributor so how does one go about checking the timing and adjusting if it is off somehow?

This is on my 96 blazer by the way!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Help: Changed my intake gaskets and plugs now I got a Miss!!!

The timing is controlled by the PCM. It is possible to be off by one tooth on the distributor and still have then engine start, but it would run horrible.

One thing that I have seen happen is for the distributor cap to not sit down flush on the distributor.

If that checks out fine, the next thing I would check is that all of the plug wires (including the primary wire from the coil) are fully seated on the cap. I have personally witnessed plug wires working their way off of a distributor cap in quite a few instances on various vehicles. If you used dielectric grease, it increases the likelyhood of this happening. What happens is air gets trapped in the boot as you push it on. The vibrations of the engine will allow the boots to work off of the posts on the distributor, disconnecting the wire. I always use a small ice pick (a small screw driver will work as well) when pushing the plugs onto the distributor. This allows the air to escape.

If all else fails, you may have to retime the motor by following THESE STEPS. That procedure is correct for all 96+ engines.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2 cents worth: yesterday our new 2007 Van threw a P0303 - Cylinder #3 miss. WTH, I said. I twisted and wiggled all the plugs wires, both ends, and the code went away. Kyle could be onto something with wires not making good contact with either the plugs or the coil. At least it's a quick, cheap check.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 AM
skyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

*laughing*

Im not laughing at you, but at the situation as I too just recently replaced the the intake gasket and had to revome the dizzy from the block and after two mechanics trying to retime it, had one of said mechanics time it to TDC on the number 1 via removal of the valve cover and adjusted the dizzyinfront of me and it was still 29 degrees retarded, I ended up bring it to thedealership to have them retime it.

The light kept throwing a Cam to Cranck sensor corrilation code, and it would put one hell of a time to start, including fighting the starter during starting.

But it is true that the computer controls the timing for the engine and if your even a tooth off it will screw up the timing alot. As much as i am one of those ppl that dont like heading to the dealership for repairs, If it gets bad and still no luck, bring it to them, they can help

Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member
ndekens is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the problem was way over my head and requiered the help of my father to come over and tell me that I had the #1 and #3 plug wires backwards then he procedded to laugh at me while I cursed the blazer.

The solution ultimatly required a beer. Budwiser to be exact.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would do it now wouldn't it! Glad you were able to get it runnin' right!!