2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM
NJGMCmark II is on a distinguished road
Default Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?

New to me 1998 GMC Jimmy has abs light and srs lights on, haven't tried everything yet but inspecting the brakes found this plug on the ds, can't seem to find it on the ps, checked engine bay didn't find it's pal. Hoping this is the simple solution to my abs light being on so anyone know wtf it is?

Next pic and the one after it are some kind of hose, looks like a drain hose one end is torn/broken hanging free near the DS wheel, the other end goes up to the top of the radiator/fan/hood area and is clipped up there to nothing. Just wondering what it is, is that all fine.

Final pic is some kind of mount that looks to have rusted off, it is only one on the ps near the front of the door. Also an upsidedown STP sticker for some reason, one on the ds but the right way, perhaps an STP tech did some underbody coating?

Any help would be appreciated, repair manual is on the way but don't know if I'd figure these things even with it.

Attached Thumbnails Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?-1023161526b.jpg   Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?-1023161530.jpg   Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?-1023161530a.jpg   Help id'ing these things, a plug, a drain? hose, some kind of mount?-stp-mount1019161742.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Not sure on the 1st, 2nd, & 4th pictures, but the 3rd picture is the front differential vent tube. It's missing it's cap though. The cap just prevents dust and crud from falling down the tube.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member
tmoble is on a distinguished road

#1 is an electrical connector, might have been in the harness for some option not installed. Old timer here might recognize it.

Pic 2 kinda sorta looks like an old battery that was replaced . too hard to get the pieces out so he gut it off. Could be wrong.

#3 above is correct.

#4, can't tell where that is, how about a pic with a little of the surrounding area.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

#4 is right at the front of the frame right after the front cab mount if that helps anyone (I dont know second gens beyond that) You can see the Y pipe in the background of the photo and the cab mount just after it.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I wonder if #4 is a rusted off step mount.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:00 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

#1 looks like the plug for the back up lights. Plugs into a switch mounted on the DS of the tranny.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info, the vent tube identified missing the cap is broken as it leads to pic 2 the broken tube that should go to the diff vent so I'll have replace that tube and make some kind of vent cap.

I still haven't figured out what that plug is in pic 1, found one or two more plugs not connected to anything under the dash in my exploring. As well as **** poor install of the alarm/keyless entry system.

Richphotos is correct Number 4 is on the passengers side just about at the front of the door, but oddly it isn't on the ds and there isn't another such 'mount' looking thing behind it anywhere on the frame as I'd expect for the long typical step bars, maybe a single 'step' kind of mount I dunno.

Digging into my 'new to me' jimmy there are several diy modifcations that weren't done very well, like unwrapped wire splices for brush guard lights, the wire tap connections (I call them vampire taps), crappy grounds to any metal piece etc.

I got the repair manual a couple days ago, just haven't cut open that unknown plug to see what colors the wires are to figure out what they might be for.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Do your back-up lamps work? If #1 has a pink wire and a gray wire, that is the connector for the back up lamps on my tranny. Mine's manual, but looking at the wire diagram, it appears it's the same on an automatic tranny.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Reverse lights work, I traced the plug back to where it looks to tie into the SRS system, another light on my dash, so at least there's some hope that's the problem with that. Just need to figure out where it's partner is, seeing that it ties into the srs system I think it was probably relocated to where it is since I can't find the partner plug in that area.