2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ZR2 "Locker" question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member
glamisfanatic is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 "Locker" question

I don't have a zr2 blazer yet, but im currently trying to trade my 98 TJ for one. Ive been looking around and from what im seeing the blazers come with locking rear differentials, however I don't see any buttons to activate the locker when looking at interior pictures online. Is it really a locker? or an LSD/ Posi unit.

Also...Ive come across some blazers that are ZR2s but dont have the "ZR2 rims" that almost every Zr2 has stock. Also there is no ZR2 sticker present at the rear quarter panel. Was it possible to get a ZR2 with out the sticker and ZR2 rims from the factory? Heres a pic of what im talking about

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

changing rims and removing decals is possible, that I do know.
If it is a true Zr2 it will have an rpo code 'Zr2' in the glove compartment
The new 'lsd' is an eaton g80, it's an automatic locking diferential, it locks when wheel slip is detected under 35mph(just a random number i picked because i don't know what the actual speed is) and will have an rpo code 'g80' in the glove compartment

Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup debadging is popular as well as new paint. Want to know what that vehicle had stock? Try http://www.decodethis.com/ & look at all the bars - General, Equiptment, Installed, Tech Specs ... a wealth of info

Old 11-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info, is the g80 pretty helpful in offroad situations

Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

according to this link my truck came with power rack and pinion steering!!! sweet!! that means i don need that pesky idler arm that keeps going bad!!
and my spare tires is mounted in the truck! must be a super compact one, as i can only see the one on the tire carrier
'Dual black below-eye-line power heated exterior mirrors' HEATED MIRRORS TOO!!!
'Dual color-keyed padded cloth sunshades w/extenders, illuminated mirrors'- must be really dirty cause I didn't see any mirrors, lights, or extenders!
'verhead console
(4) adjustable reading lamps, outside temp gauge, compass, eyeglasses/garage door opener/miscellaneous storage compartments.' So I installed my overhead and ran new wiring for nothing! it was already there

I don't think it tells what's in your truck... unless someone swapped vins somewhere down the line...although it did get the 2001 gmc jimmy 2 dr 4wd sls comfort/convenience right

I find the g80 EXTREMELY helpful in some situations, for instance. flexed out going through a road deactivation or over rocks, whatever, instead of your front right and back left tire just spinning(or other way around) and you not going anywhere, the rear will lock and the one rear tire with tons of weight on it will get you moving.

Last edited by 69chevelle; 11-13-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

nice, 69chevelle, sorry man I was only trying to help & I appologise if a link from me didn't pan out.

& Yes the g80 is nice, works well for me & what I need it for... ss but possibly (small chance I know) that the one you have isn't stock... by the vin I mean
I can't find the site I went to to get the VIN code that was my blazer.... thought it was in favs but nope, can't find it right now

google things yourself... it's the internet, USE IT! <--- not at you glam

<btw CHEERS, because knowing/reading what you have to say normally chevelle... you've had a few (you're usually intelligent in replies etc) lol I have>
sorry OP I tried, but google is great as long as you search

Last edited by Rottidog; 11-13-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 AM
Beginning Member

Does this look like a ZR2 to you guys? I heard you can tell by looking by looking at where the leafs springs connect to

Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Something looks wrong with that truck. The flares don't look right to me for some reason. Looks like the aftermarket flares that were available for a time.

There is an article on s10extremists.org that shows the differences between the ZR2 and the regular s-series.

By far and away the easiest way to check is to run the VIN through a VIN decoder such as the one available at compnine.com. A dealer can also do this for you.

The G80 Gov-Loc rear diff is a capable rear diff in the s-series trucks. The G80 is an automatic locking rear diff so there are no switches, etc to engage it. A lot of fullsize guys end up having trouble with them, but it usually isn't until they have pretty large tires. Just recently we had a problem with the rear diff (G80) on my dad's '04 K2500HD farm truck that gets absolutely abused. We put in a Detroit Truetrac diff and it has been great!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Beginning Member

I will try to get the vin

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Detroit locker>G80...
I have them in my new axles under my zr2. Il never go with a stock lsd again.
I have one for sale for the zr2's...wink wink, nudge nudge...lol

Quick Reply: ZR2 "Locker" question