2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help a new guy find a missing wire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM
vette2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Help a new guy find a missing wire?

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum - take it easy on me.

I recently bought an '02 4dr LS 4x4 that has a few minor issues. I've been taking care of things one by one, but I could use some insight on this one.

I've had the issue of the dome lights staying on and began troubleshooting by checking out the door switches. Discovering that the front passenger switch is completely missing a wire was a big red flag... which leads me to this post.

I've opened the glovebox fully, removed the under dash trim panel on that side, as well as the kick panel to get a better look and can't find a disconnected wire anywhere. My feeling is that the wire comes from the BCM, but I don't know for sure.

Does anyone know where the wire to this switch comes from? I'd like to trace it from the source to figure out what happened. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Beginning Member
99blklt4wd is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

my 99 LT 4dr does not have a wire either but my dome light works normally, I believe they use another type of switch in the door latch mechanism

.......if I am thinking of the right vehicle I own, or was it my Mom's POS Taurus?

Good luck

Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Default :)

Thanks for the feedback - I hope you are thinking of your mom's Tortoise though. ;-) There is a wire connected to the driver's side door switch which leads me to believe there should be one on the passenger's side too. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm or deny?

Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member
stephensh is on a distinguished road
Default Confirmed

I have a 2000 LT which I checked and it does not have a wire to switch in the location behind the glove box.

Fwiw. The mall lights work on buttons which are not associated to the door switches. An open gate will put the light on. Pressing the button at the light switch control panel overrides the lighting system and keeps it off whether a door is open or not. The dimmer wheel will enable the light on at all times when spun in one of the directions to the stop point.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Default Need to look elsewhere

Thanks for the confirmation! At least I know I should stop looking for that wire. It is odd that the wire exists on the driver's side, but not on the passenger side, and they still installed the switch an not just a plastic plug for the hole on that side of the dash.

I had checked the IP light dimmer to make sure it wasn't 'maxed' - I'm familiar with this function from a long history of GM vehicles. The situation currently is that unless the Dome Override switch is engaged, the interior lights are on.

Do you guys know where the switch is on the tailgate. I looked all around the opening, but didn't see anything. Is it in the latch on the tailgate itself?

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM

I think I found the problem, and it was with the tailgate switch. Unfortunately, I broke off several of the plastic tabs holding the tailgate panel to the tailgate thinking it pulled off like a door panel after pulling the screw from each side. It does not come off that way.

For posterity, I'll mention that after removing the two side screws from the panel, the screw visible in the latch area also must be removed. The panel is then pulled toward the rear (with the tailgate down) as there are about 5 plastic hooks moulded into the back of the panel near the bottom of if that hold the panel to the sheetmetal of the tailgate itself.

With regard to the problem I had, it seems to be resolved. I simply worked the switch (it is white plastic near the latch with about 5 wires going to it) back and forth several times. I then closed the tailgate and glass (and all doors) and with the Dome Override disengaged, turned on the ignition. The interior lights went out. I also discovered the Blazer has Retained Accessory Power, as after turning off the ignition and removing the key, the radio stayed on until I opened the driver door. It had been turning immediately off - go figure; the truck thought a door was open.

Thanks for the pointers - I may be getting busy with some glue to try to make some repairs to my tailgate trim panel. :S

Mike

Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
stephensh is on a distinguished road

Mike,
you might try screws with hinged screw covers too though plastic epoxy does seem to hold good too. Good to hear it's fixed

Old 09-19-2021, 06:23 AM
Beginning Member
Phil Manwarren is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vette2001
Thanks for the confirmation! At least I know I should stop looking for that wire. It is odd that the wire exists on the driver's side, but not on the passenger side, and they still installed the switch an not just a plastic plug for the hole on that side of the dash.

I had checked the IP light dimmer to make sure it wasn't 'maxed' - I'm familiar with this function from a long history of GM vehicles. The situation currently is that unless the Dome Override switch is engaged, the interior lights are on.

Do you guys know where the switch is on the tailgate. I looked all around the opening, but didn't see anything. Is it in the latch on the tailgate itself?

Thanks again,

Mike

my 200 blazer had one and its gone I think its in the fender wall so im going to take the fender off today and hopefully its there !