2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help Please. 4x4 issues after shift replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:36 PM
greatwhite is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please. 4x4 issues after shift replacement

OK so a few weeks ago I replaced the front drive shaft and the Shift motor. Seemed to work good, but today. I put it in 4 Lo when I was in a field getting firewood. It would not go back into 2 or 4 Hi. When I got home I put iton the axel stands and it seem to go into 2 Hi, but the front wheel is still turning and the actuator is pulled in. When I try to put it back into 4 Lo it clicks and you can hear the computer then it makes the normal shift motor clunk then a second and goes back into what ever gear I was in Auto, 4 Hi or 2 Hi. I'm baffled as to what is causing this. I replaced the shift motor and front drive shaft a few weeks ago with new not used.

Does anyone have some suggestions. 4x4 warning light is off. Could this be the cable??? I replaced it last year but maybe it is bad???

Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM

OK an additional update. I went out and tried again. It went back into 4 LO but now it will not come out I hear the click and the cable but know clunk. Could this be caused by the solenoid on the fire wall? Is there a way to test it. Last year I replace the hoses and the switch on the axle. Hope someone out there has some additional info.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
spittybays

Greatwhite, I am no master of diagnosis but this is what I would try. Disconnect the negative cable for half an hour then see what happens. Not sure if yours is one of the years that they had problems with corrosion on the 4x4 shift module. Its behind the pass kick panel. It comes out real easy, then you spray it with contact cleaner and slap it back together. Going to go to youtube right now and see if I can find it for you.

There are a couple of screws you need to remove along the lower door frame plastic cover that need to come out before you can get that kick panel to pop of like this guy has it.

Last edited by spittybays; 06-16-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Yes I have checked the TCCM when the shift motor failed, But might as well try again as the parts store is closed today and not much more I can try.

Something else I noticed is. when the truck is running and still stuck in 4LO I can see the actuator under the battery sucked in, when I shut the truck off the diagram slowly lets back out? I thought the actuator should stay sucked in even when off since it is a vacuum. Possible leak someplace bad solenoid on the firewall? I checked the hose and they are all good (replaced last year).

I forgot to mention I have the 236 transfer case with the Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi, 4LO

Last edited by greatwhite; 06-16-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM
spittybays

Yea no, the actuator on mine slowly goes back, the vac connections are not that tight that they will hold without a constant supply of vacuum from the motor.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM

My mechanic is thinking either the buttons on the dash are done (I hear they occasionally go) or the vac solenoid. Seeing as the shift motor is new, drive shaft is new.

I can't think of anything else. Even the switch on the front diff was replaced last year. The only parts I have not replaced are the vac solenoid and the dash switch.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 PM
spittybays

Well I do know the dash switches are cheaply made, have replaced mine 2x, no experience with the solenoid, I have a three button. The dash buttons are cheap at rockauto, most likely Dorman.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM

How did you determine if it was the dash switch? when I press 2Hi or 4Hi I hear the TCCM and I hear the cable move?? a whine like sound then goes back to 4 LO and the front axel is definetly engaged actuator pulled in.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM

I forgot to mention when I did get it back into 2 Hi (before getting it stuck in 4 LO) I noticed the actuator was still pulled in and I don't think it should have been.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Something new has transpired is that I know longer hear anything other then the click from the TCCM when attempting to come out of 4LO. It was yesterday making a sliding swish sound but that has now stopped prior to even that I would hear the transfer case make the clunk clunk sound that noise disappeared yesterday. The 4wd service light is off. Could the cable be actuator cable be stuck.? Which happens first transfer case tries to disengage and then the actuator turns off releasing the fork or does the front axle have to disengage first then the shift motor. Shouldn't I at least hear the shift motor trying?