2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help with rear disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
Krmnnghia is on a distinguished road
Default Help with rear disc brakes

Working on a 2000 Bravada. Complaint of rear brake noise. Both calipers were completely locked up and grinding away. Replaced the rear caliper, pads, and rubber lines. When Disconnecting the factory rubber lines I was getting fluid out of the hard lines on both sides. Went to bleed the system and I can get barely any fluid to come out of both of them. With the bleeders closed, the pistons are not moving.

Possibly have a clogged hard line somewhere?
Both new calipers or both new rubber lines are bad?
Something I am missing because I have never done brakes on this car before?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

The last time I saw those symptoms, somebody had put ATF in the master cylinder and ruined every rubber part in the brake system. Hopefully that's not what you're dealing with.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
The last time I saw those symptoms, somebody had put ATF in the master cylinder and ruined every rubber part in the brake system. Hopefully that's not what you're dealing with.
WOW. Yah that is definitely not what is going on here. I am the only one that ever does work on this vehicle.

Reading some threads here a lot of folks are saying to gravity bleed both new calipers for roughly 5 minutes. I had not attempted that yet so I will do it tonight and see what happens. I did pump the brakes a few times in my attempt to bleed them so hopefully I don't have an issue after that.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

only pump the brakes when the bleeder valve is closed. Pump, pump pump, hold the brake peddle down, have someone open the bleeder valve then retighten , repeat until there`s no air coming out. Keep brake fluid res, full

Old 03-19-2018, 07:47 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Did you let the master cylinder run out of brake fluid (for rear brakes) while changing the calipers? If so you probably have air in the ABS system and will most likely require the brake bleeding to be performed using a capable scanner.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Did you let the master cylinder run out of brake fluid (for rear brakes) while changing the calipers? If so you probably have air in the ABS system and will most likely require the brake bleeding to be performed using a capable scanner.
No I did not let it run dry. I did suck out all the fluid from the master and refill with new DOT3, but did not pump the brakes at all during that process.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Krmnnghia
No I did not let it run dry. I did suck out all the fluid from the master and refill with new DOT3, but did not pump the brakes at all during that process.
I'm sorry but it really sounds like air in the system.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member

So I had the wife help me after work today. Gravity bled for 10 minutes each side. Then did the standard press and hold method of bleeding with the car off. This feels like normal with the 3rd pump being very stiff. Was able to get air out of both sides this way.

I still cannot get the caliper piston to move on either one. So frustrating. Had my wife start the vehicle and when its running the brake goes to the floor. No pressure feeling in the back calipers but the fronts do hold.

I am at a loss.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Krmnnghia
Working on a 2000 Bravada. Complaint of rear brake noise. Both calipers were completely locked up and grinding away. Replaced the rear caliper, pads, and rubber lines. When Disconnecting the factory rubber lines I was getting fluid out of the hard lines on both sides. Went to bleed the system and I can get barely any fluid to come out of both of them. With the bleeders closed, the pistons are not moving.

Possibly have a clogged hard line somewhere?
Both new calipers or both new rubber lines are bad?
Something I am missing because I have never done brakes on this car before?

Thanks!
You need to get together with
stevbre1 He is dealing with the same type of problems https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...olorado-95738/

Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

The last time that I did rear calipers I gravity bled them for about 15 minutes each because I wanted to flush it. I just made sure I kept the reservoir full and all was good.

Quick Reply: Help with rear disc brakes