2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hissing noise from brake pedel

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member
gmaltese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hissing noise from brake pedel

hello guys and girls,
i have a problem, i kinda know what it is but i'd like some feed back
normal driveing when i brake a hissing noise is heard down buy the brake pedel, when i really need to brake hard it feels like the power brake is lost and the pedel is real hard, i kinda know it's some kinda vacuume leak, but where would this be and is it some thing i can do my self or do i need to take it some were.
i just don't want it to be a 500-1000 dollar OH YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE MASTER CILINDER VACUUME ETC problem... i have a 98 s-10 blazer 4.3l
thanks glen

Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hissing noise from brake pedel

Sounds like your vacuum booster is shot.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member

is this a high dollar part to have a shop repair?

Old 08-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how much a shop would charge to have it replaced, but it looks to be a straight forward replacement if you can get to all of the bolts readily. A remanufactured booster from Advanced Auto should be around $110 (per their site). You basically unbolt the master cylinder (leaving the lines connected if you can move the cylinder away enough). Disconnect the vacuum supply line to the booster. Then remove the driver's side hush panel, disconnect the brake pedal and remove the 4 bolts on the inside of the firewall. Installation is reverse of assembly.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Exactly as klye says, vacuum booster.
the only other thing is that the brake switch needs to come off the brake pedal to remove the rod from the pedal. The rod comes out with the booster.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/D4A6F1716A75425BA2AD43B03838458C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/9707D09A71954378B389581356F88D87.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2006, 03:54 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to know what is that tube that is connected to the booster to what looks to be the TB doing? Does the air go into the TB or what?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Administrator

That hose is connected to the intake plenum and is the vacuum supply line to the brake booster. It is what gives the brake booster the 'power assist' when you push on the brake pedal.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

if I understand your question...Just to know what is that tube that is connected to the booster to what looks to be the TB doing? Does the air go into the TB or what?.....the hose is the vacuum source for the booster, so yes the air is going in that direction.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Vaccum booster. I had the same problem with my old 85 Bronco II. It's not that hard to change, and from what I remember it wasn't all that expensive.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member

this is going to be my week-end project..... thanks for all your help the pic were really a help,and with any luck this might help some one also

Quick Reply: hissing noise from brake pedel