2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hit a Deer, Damage Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Hit a Deer, Damage Report

Well, hit a 5 point deer at the half way point between home and college, 300 miles from both. It completely destroyed the grill and my head lights. The mount for the hood latch got pushed up against the radiator as well as the the some lines with transmission fluid in them. The radiator is bent, but not leaking. On top of that, it crumpled the hood. I drove home when the sun came up with no over heating and the car seemed to be running fine.

Now for the repairs, after a scrap yard run this is what has been replaced with used parts.

Hood
Hood Latch Mount
Grill
Head Lights (x2)
Running lights (couldn't find fog lights)

The header panel is bent in a lot. Just getting the used head light assemblies was a pain. The radiator seems like it is still doing its job despite the bend. I got used transmission lines, however that was only because the donor car was missing the engine so I was easily able to remove the lines, doubt I can replace mine. I plan to apply a pressure test to the radiator tonight to make sure it holds. I had a friend check the sub frame, he said that it looked fine.

I got to go back to college in a week, so what else should I check?

Last edited by LuckyAce; 11-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

That sucks, hope you get is all back together.

I hit a deer a couple of weeks ago. Difference is I hit mine with a 145gr .270 caliber bullet from about 200 yards. No damage to my Blazer though there might be a little bit of blood in the back. I haven't check yet.

I really do feel bad for you. A lot of deer and elk get hit by cars out this way. Those who hit an elk tend to have a total loss of the vehicle. At least you weren't hurt and were able to make it home.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

I will do a pressure test tonight, but I believe I noticed a leak under the car near the passenger tire.

If I have to replace the radiator, do I need a new support or can I likely bend it back into shape? When I looked for a new one it looked a lot like what I was told was the header panel, different name same thing I assume. So far this has been easy to bend, hence why the dear did so much damage to it. I don't think I can remove it since the some kinda transmission line runs through it.

I would like to replace radiator in the future, however I have to return to college by this Sunday, and I need my Blazer to get me there. Ideally I would like to do it over Christmas break, which would be another 1800 miles from now. Will it last? I mean it got me the last 350 miles just fine. I don't have a garage at college and it is kinda freezing and snowy in the parking lot. I also can't afford to get a new one from a parts store, and rockauto won't get it here before I leave.

I could get a used one, but not sure if that is very good since it could be much worse, and the fluids were likely drained thereby causing rust on the insides.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 11-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Without looking at it in person I really can't tell you what to do. Drive it around as much as you can while you are home to see if anything else springs up. If you do end up driving it back to school, try to put together a plan if you end up on the side of the road. Someone to tow to a place of your choice and a ride to get you to school at the very least.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

LuckyAce,
Whenever I find something leaking under my car, I used to smear a bit of substance on my finger to find out what a fluid is that. Find out if that is a coolant, oil or whatever. Doing a car repairs on cold sucks, so once You find what the fluid is, You may observe its level and how fast does it drip out. Then decide - whether You could drive home, top up when necessary and do the fixes on Christmas break or not.

P.S. Good joke AJBert Sadly I haven't hit any deer this autumn. When it gets cold I'll try to hit a fox or two instead...

Old 11-24-2017, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

If you're going to try to limp through the trip back to school on it, you definitely want to have a backup plan like AJBert suggested, and I'd also suggest taking extra fluids with you (oil, coolant, transmission fluid) so you could top things up if they leak along the way. Either buy premixed coolant, or mix up a bottle before you go, and check your fluid levels every time you stop.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Somehow we explored a car related problems to a survival trip... I don't mind I would suggest You to get something that will keep You warm in case You'd have to wait for towing in the middle of nowhere. A spirit stove or so.
One of a famous polish song is called "Blizzard in Michigan"