2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Holy Crap! Look what I found today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road
Default Holy Crap! Look what I found today.

I have had this car for the last 2 months, and it had a little squeak every time I hit a little bump. Today I've decide to find the squeak and grease it, when behind the front right wheel I find this huge crack. Is this very bad? Can it be welded?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Holy Crap! Look what I found today.-gedc0081.jpg   Holy Crap! Look what I found today.-gedc0080.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What part is that crack actually in? It is difficult to tell from the pictures...

Regardless, that is not a good thing to have happen. To properly repair the problem, the area would need to be thoroughly degreased, welded back up, then fish plated (diamond shape plate fully welded on to strengthen the weld repair).

Old 07-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Would you know how much this will cost?

I'm very bad at auto terminology, but the crack is behind the front right tire.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So that is the main frame rail that is cracked...

The difficult part that you will encounter is finding a shop that will do the work for you. You really need to find a good frame shop and have them look at the damage to see how extensive it is. It looks as though someone has already repaired a much larger problem by the way the welds look in the first picture.