2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hood pin washers

Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
gserve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hood pin washers

Has anyone heard of washers that are installed on the hood pins to stop the hood from rattleing when going over bumps.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: hood pin washers

GM part number 12383460.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup^^^^

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this very subject. I think mine needs two per hinge... LOL

Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 AM
Beginning Member
RQuickDraw is on a distinguished road

Yeah, mine has been rattling for about a month. The noise was driving me crazy. At first I thought it was bad ball joints. Checked them out and they were fine. Finally this week I figured out it was the hinge pins. Didn't have time so I had the dealer do the job. Parts - $7.00 each. Labor - $120.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HOLY CRAP!!! Wow... I just checked mine during lunch yesterday and it only takes about 20 minutes to do the job start to finish and that's getting out the required tools!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea...if you wanna test it just to make sure thats it...put a rag on each side to add upward pressure and the noise should go away....yes....this saves loads of money...seems like ive replaced my whole front end....when this is all it was.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the replies and help. I gave my local GM dealer the part number and he was able to order the washers. Now how do you install them? Thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator

The outer cowl panel is removable. First take a small screw driver and pry the center section of the screw like retainer (it isn't a screw) up. Pull the center section out, then pull out the remaining section. Then pull up on the outside edge of the cover to release the spring clip underneath. It may take some wiggling to get it out. The passenger side cover is a bit of a PITA, but it too does come out... Then it's as simple as removing the bolts and adding the washers. I used a block of wood between the lip of the hood and the windshield to support it while I removed the hinge bolt.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, Now Where on the bolt or what side are there installed. Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Beginning Member

I found out on another forum that the washers go with the wider side towards the bolt head. Thanks for everybodys help. It solved my problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hood pin washers