2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Another Dome Light Always on Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member
carpboy is on a distinguished road
Default Another Dome Light Always on Problem

1998, 4dr, 4wd, no sun roof, liftgate.

Wife had been complaining about the dome not going out. I found it to be that rear liftglass switch not being made due to the glass being a sloppy loose. For the time being I put some moleskin on the contact point and the switch made and the dome light went out.

I then started working on some other electrical issues. I had the front right door panel off to remove the speaker. Later in the day I happened to notice that the dome light was back on. I removed all the switches (2 on front are on the side of the dash), the two rear doors and the lift glass. The light remained on.

Looking at a 97 schematic I see mention of a 'liftgate ajar' switch along with the other 5 switches. I've totally opened up the liftgate and disconnected every wire that I could and the light still stayed on.

Is there a chance this switch is somewhere I am missing, if it even exists on the 98?

The override button works and the dimmer switch functions normally when the override is in place.

Anyone have any thoughts? Sounds like a ground short somewhere but having it work and then not work after removing the door panel is awfully coincidental.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do they go out when you close all of the doors. In '98, GM started having some of the switches be in the latches in the front doors themselves. I believe this was on the models equiped with the content theft deterrent security system.

If they still do not go out and you have disconnected the wiring at both front door latches, then you have a grounded wire somewhere in the truck.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
carpboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Do they go out when you close all of the doors. In '98, GM started having some of the switches be in the latches in the front doors themselves. I believe this was on the models equiped with the content theft deterrent security system.

If they still do not go out and you have disconnected the wiring at both front door latches, then you have a grounded wire somewhere in the truck.
Yeah, all doors closed and light on. Also, all switches removed and light on.

An hour before it was working, I know stuff happens but I always try to find cause and effect...

I also just noticed that the driver sunshade mirror was out. However, I can play with the switch and get it to come on but that didn't change the dome behavior.

Do you know of there is a 6th switch to the dome?

Thanks.