2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

horn intermittenly works

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default horn intermittenly works

i cant make sense of it, sometimes it works, others it doesnt... for instance i went to use it, it didnt work ....3 mins later....i tried it in the driveway, and it worked. it did the same thing last night.

checked the relay and its fully in the socket

any help would be great

Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I have seen horn terminals get corroded and work sporadically. I would start with that and go from there.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 PM

where are they located? are you referring to the horn relay on the underhood fuse box

Old 07-30-2015, 04:39 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I was referring to the horn itself. It is located inside the passenger front fender next to the battery.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
knwollen is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on my 99. I had to pull the steering wheel airbag to get to the copper horn contacts and clean them. I don't remember all the details, but I found instructions on the internet on how to do it. I do remember the instructions state to disconnect both airbag connectors, but a mechanic told be just pull the airbag fuse/disconnect the battery. I polished my contacts with steel wool and turned them around. I remember having a problem understanding how to unclip the two clips on the back side of the steering wheel to release the airbag. after much confusion and trial and error, it just takes the right sized blade screwdriver to twist and pop the clips, I think. Long time since I did this.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by knwollen
I had the same problem on my 99. I had to pull the steering wheel airbag to get to the copper horn contacts and clean them. I don't remember all the details, but I found instructions on the internet on how to do it. I do remember the instructions state to disconnect both airbag connectors, but a mechanic told be just pull the airbag fuse/disconnect the battery. I polished my contacts with steel wool and turned them around. I remember having a problem understanding how to unclip the two clips on the back side of the steering wheel to release the airbag. after much confusion and trial and error, it just takes the right sized blade screwdriver to twist and pop the clips, I think. Long time since I did this.
may give this a try if under the hood checks out fine with the horn contacts...my luck the airbag will shoot out lol.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member

I just found out that I had a problem with my horn again. For a little over 2 years my horn would only chirp intermittently when locking the car. It has gotten worse over time. So I tried using the panic button and no sound, lights blinked ok. Then I tried to blow the horn and it didn't make a sound. I could hear the horn solenoid in the under the hood fuse box clicking. I switched this solenoid with another one and still no horn. Got out my volt meter and power was going to the 15 amp fuse when you blew the horn. The only horn wire I could get to was the right side horn and no power showed here. Then I pulled everything out to get to the left horn and got power coming out of the connector there, but no sound. Thought it might be a dead horn. I pulled the left horn (easiest to get to) jumped it and it worked, same for right horn.
I carry spare solenoids and put a new one in and the horn blew, alarm and panic button worked. (by the way it was a record 99 degrees yesterday) This morning I put everything back together and it is still working.
I have replaced this solenoid once, plus a couple of others. The strangest one was my AC solenoid. All of a sudden my AC would work fine for about 20 minutes then start getting warm. The clutch was slowing down and not turning the unit fast enough. i thought it was burning out. Changed the solenoid and everything was ok.
Solenoids can still work but reduce their power output over time or continued use. Carry spares!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by knwollen
I just found out that I had a problem with my horn again. For a little over 2 years my horn would only chirp intermittently when locking the car. It has gotten worse over time. So I tried using the panic button and no sound, lights blinked ok. Then I tried to blow the horn and it didn't make a sound. I could hear the horn solenoid in the under the hood fuse box clicking. I switched this solenoid with another one and still no horn. Got out my volt meter and power was going to the 15 amp fuse when you blew the horn. The only horn wire I could get to was the right side horn and no power showed here. Then I pulled everything out to get to the left horn and got power coming out of the connector there, but no sound. Thought it might be a dead horn. I pulled the left horn (easiest to get to) jumped it and it worked, same for right horn.
I carry spare solenoids and put a new one in and the horn blew, alarm and panic button worked. (by the way it was a record 99 degrees yesterday) This morning I put everything back together and it is still working.
I have replaced this solenoid once, plus a couple of others. The strangest one was my AC solenoid. All of a sudden my AC would work fine for about 20 minutes then start getting warm. The clutch was slowing down and not turning the unit fast enough. i thought it was burning out. Changed the solenoid and everything was ok.
Solenoids can still work but reduce their power output over time or continued use. Carry spares!
where is the horn solenoid located? i have an aftermarket alarm so it doesnt use the stock horn, so unfortunately i cant check alarms chirp

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Beginning Member

Mine is a 99 and the relay is in the fuse box under the hood over the drivers fender next to the windshield wiper water bottle. There is a diagram on the underside of the lid. they are grey rectangular cubes. When ever you pull a solenoid make sure you take note of how it sits in the block, you can easily plug them in backwards. Honk the horn and see if you hear a clicking sound from the area. Try swapping it with another one of the same number and see if this works (this didn't help me) or replace it. Most auto part stores carry them, cheaper on line though. If you don't get a click from a good one, it may be the contacts under the horn button on the steering wheel like my original solution.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Beginning Member

The proper name is horn relay not solenoid. I don't know where my brain was. It might have fried in the heat.
Large online stores (don't know if I can name names) have these for under $11 plus whatever shipping is. Named mortar stores are $18 - $22, maybe less. If you look one up you will see a picture of what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: horn intermittenly works