2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

replacing front main crank seal?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
icb4uc is on a distinguished road
Default replacing front main crank seal?

Can anyone tell me if the front main bearing seal can be replaced on 2000 4wd s-10 blazer (4.3 vortec) , without pulling motor. Is there a front main seal, or is there just a oil pan gasket?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

I assume you're referring to the front crankshaft seal? This can be replaced without removing the engine. It is located in the timing chain cover. Most of the accessories on the front of the engine must be removed (alternator, pumps, damper etc...) I believe the seal can be changed without removing the timing chain cover.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Once you remove the radiator shrouds (top & bottom - you may also have to remove the fan to get the bottom shroud out); you only have to pull the serpentine belt off and then you remove the crank pulley/balancer. No other accessories need to be removed. If you suspect a front seal leak, check the crank pulley/balancer for wear. The lip seal can wear a groove in the balancer which can make a new seal leak.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Starting Member
Jashroric is on a distinguished road
Default Wear Sleeve

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Once you remove the radiator shrouds (top & bottom - you may also have to remove the fan to get the bottom shroud out); you only have to pull the serpentine belt off and then you remove the crank pulley/balancer. No other accessories need to be removed. If you suspect a front seal leak, check the crank pulley/balancer for wear. The lip seal can wear a groove in the balancer which can make a new seal leak.

Just a note here, if your balancer pulley happens to be grooved they have wear sleeves available at your local parts store to repair the damage. Very cheap and easy to install.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jashroric
Just a note here, if your balancer pulley happens to be grooved they have wear sleeves available at your local parts store to repair the damage. Very cheap and easy to install.
I just put a new balancer on mine for like 60 bucks. This is a REALLY old thread, though, so I doubt the OP cares much at this point.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
I just put a new balancer on mine for like 60 bucks. This is a REALLY old thread, though, so I doubt the OP cares much at this point.
Maybe old but still could be a refresher for someone needing. Thanks to the knowledgeable responses though.

I sold my ZR2 four years ago but still read here 5 times or more a week. Just maybe I'll have something that might help someone.

Last edited by Vahomboy; 01-08-2021 at 09:42 AM.