2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hose from air intake to manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

yea im going to take a longer drive probably this afternoon, thank you guys for the reassurance and quick help, i will keep you posted

Old 01-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The smell was blow by gasses, (very unique odor). When the engine is running, a small amount of combustion gasses naturally get past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Until the 1960's, engines had a steel tube called a "road draft" tube that stuck down just below the engine. While driving, the wind passing the tube created a vacuum in the crankcase and ventilated it. This was the first emission control device, and the PCV system took its place. When the PCV, (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is working properly, it ventilates the crankcase by maintaining a negative pressure, (vacuum) in both overhead areas and the crankcase. Filtered air is sucked into the engine through the inlet tube. It passes through the passenger side overhead area, down into the crankcase, and up into the PCV valve on the driver side rocker arm cover. The gasses are re-burned. If the system isn't working, crankcase pressure builds, (positive) and the gasses are pushed out through the path with the least resistance, in your case, the rocker arm cover grommet.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The smell was blow by gasses, (very unique odor). When the engine is running, a small amount of combustion gasses naturally get past the piston rings and into the crankcase. Until the 1960's, engines had a steel tube called a "road draft" tube that stuck down just below the engine. While driving, the wind passing the tube created a vacuum in the crankcase and ventilated it. This was the first emission control device, and the PCV system took its place. When the PCV, (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is working properly, it ventilates the crankcase by maintaining a negative pressure, (vacuum) in both overhead areas and the crankcase. Filtered air is sucked into the engine through the inlet tube. It passes through the passenger side overhead area, down into the crankcase, and up into the PCV valve on the driver side rocker arm cover. The gasses are re-burned. If the system isn't working, crankcase pressure builds, (positive) and the gasses are pushed out through the path with the least resistance, in your case, the rocker arm cover grommet.
that was the perfect explanation. and i actually understood it lol. i havent took it for a ride yet, but assuming if something was really wrong a code should come up when the CEL comes on. that hasnt happened, yet lol. i made sure my mechanic knew about it. he did say it was a vacuum system so itd still get air, and i made sure i mentioned non-filtered air and debris couldve gotten in.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

With that tube pulled out, it will not set a DTC in memory, or turn the check engine light on. PCV is not monitored by the PCM, but if the vacuum line comes off of the PCV valve, it will set a DTC immediately. It will reference a vacuum leak or a lean condition, but it won't say a word about PCV

Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM

With that tube pulled out, it will not set a DTC in memory, or turn the check engine light on. PCV is not monitored by the PCM, but if the vacuum line comes off of the PCV valve, it will set a DTC immediately. It will reference a vacuum leak or a lean condition, but it won't say a word about PCV
So this might be another stupid question haha but how will I know if something is wrong? Will it drive different or cause a chain reaction? I just wanna have something to keep an eye on because if something's wrong, I aint paying to have it fixed lol

Old 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM

You just answered your own question Keep an eye on things, or have the vehicle inspected regularly by a competant technician. You'd be surprised what can be caught before it's a problem. ...you just found one thing!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 PM

You just answered your own question Keep an eye on things, or have the vehicle inspected regularly by a competant technician. You'd be surprised what can be caught before it's a problem. ...you just found one thing!
yea thats a good point, captain as always, thank you for the quick help, i feel assured i get the right answer everytime i see you reply lol

Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Thanks! This ain't my first rodeo and I'm happy to share my experience and help out if I can