2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How bad is p0302?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road
Default How bad is p0302?

So I'm looking at a jimmy, 500$ with 170k km on it. Owner says passenger hub(I have 2 spares), battery died(alternator mostlikely), and a misfire(says buddy got a p0302 code).

so I'm looking it up, and it starts from spark plugs, and goes to clog injectors. My question is, what's the typical, if anyone has done this, cost for this repair. I'm doing plugs and wires anyways if I get it, just wondering how much further I'm going to expect to go with it...

thanks for any input...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
So I'm looking at a jimmy, 500$ with 170k km on it. Owner says passenger hub(I have 2 spares), battery died(alternator mostlikely), and a misfire(says buddy got a p0302 code).

so I'm looking it up, and it starts from spark plugs, and goes to clog injectors. My question is, what's the typical, if anyone has done this, cost for this repair. I'm doing plugs and wires anyways if I get it, just wondering how much further I'm going to expect to go with it...

thanks for any input...
I started on my Blazer when I first got it with a P0304 (misfire on cylinder #4) code hidden by previous owner by disconnecting SES light. Ended up with a new engine before it was fixed, and a lot more money in the vehicle than it was worth. Yes, bad engine bearings can trick the system into reporting a misfire. Second gen Blazers are notorious for coolant leaking into the oil from bad intake gaskets, and this in turn will ruin the bearings at some point. Once damaged, bearings remain damaged - even if the intake gaskets are repaired (as mine were). On the other hand a vacuum hose simply being disconnected can cause a misfire, and so can a myriad of other things. Cost for repair of a misfire code should be somewhere between $0.00 and $2500.00, depending on if the misfire is real and depending on what is causing the misfire code. Given what happened to me, I will always check myself and will never ever buy a used vehicle again without knowing the vehicle has passed all emissions readiness monitors and has set no codes. https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...g-valve-87514/

You can certainly take a chance on a $500 Blazer if you wish (mine was a $5500 creampuff, so I was forced to fix it or be out the money completely). Repair cost can be a crapshoot and codes alone don't tell you what is wrong. They just point you to a specific diagnostic chart to begin the diagnosis. Just be prepared to walk away from the vehicle and give up the $500 if repairs go above it's value, or above what you can afford - whichever is less).

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-01-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the reply Les.

I'm hoping that it's not as bad as shot bearings. Can really use the second vehicle for the wife...

I'm going with jumpers and a code reader... if I see anything bad, then I'll walk... but for 500, I'll atleast have parts lol...

Old 03-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

I always take this with me when I get used vehicles, it with the car gauge pro app on your phone will give you more than enough info on the vehicle.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-01-2019, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for that link! I'm going to have to find something similar tho, unfortunately they dont ship to canada.

I was supposed to go today, but unfortunately the seller had something come up and its a no go again today...

Old 03-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

Try to stick to BAFX or similar name brand if you can, try to stay away from the chinese knock-offs, they don't work so well (just trust me on this).
Pretty much any reputable bluetooth OBD II will work, and get the car gauge pro app

Good luck

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran

So I finally met up with the jimmy today. Everything looked decent, not as good shape as I wanted but darn descent for 400$, I'll be bringing it home tomorrow. And starting a separate build thread for it.

but here she is. A little body work but nothing too major, p0302, alternator, maybe a battery if it doesnt charge, tires, oil change.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 PM

So I finally met up with the jimmy today. Everything looked decent, not as good shape as I wanted but darn descent for 400$, I'll be bringing it home tomorrow. And starting a separate build thread for it.

but here she is. A little body work but nothing too major, p0302, alternator, maybe a battery if it doesnt charge, tires, oil change.

looks decent outside!! Congrats!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks! So far it's the back bumper that needs to be repaired/replaced(rust), and the drivers fender is mashed at the bottom behind the wheel, and the plastic side piece is missing off of it. Other then that, a good vacuuming and steam cleaning of the carpet, a little armor all on the trims and itll look good, no stains or tears on the carpets, and no tips o the leather seats, a little worn on the drivers seat, but after 19 years, cant expect it to be perfect lol.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Thanks! So far it's the back bumper that needs to be repaired/replaced(rust), and the drivers fender is mashed at the bottom behind the wheel, and the plastic side piece is missing off of it. Other then that, a good vacuuming and steam cleaning of the carpet, a little armor all on the trims and itll look good, no stains or tears on the carpets, and no tips o the leather seats, a little worn on the drivers seat, but after 19 years, cant expect it to be perfect lol.
Sounds like a winner!! I would get a battery or alternator in it so will run and then do a thorough evaluation before spending more. But looks like you could put some money in it and still come out smelling like a rose!

Last Fall I replaced my bumper for same rust issues (mine was just starting to bubble under the paint on lower sides). Wife noticed it and I gotta keep her happy as it is her vehicle to drive. Can't fault her as she is just as **** about checking oil level, tire pressure, and oil change intervals all on her own. Same exact bumper as yours. I got really lucky with the bumper I ordered from LMC (an import for sure). Came in a nice durable black powdercoat (not temporary paint) and was packed in foam inside of a box with no scratches. Seemed to be a real quality piece for not much money. Had it painted body color by a body shop for $115 when the Blazer was in for other repairs (after being hit in the side door). Switched over all the plastic and lights from the old bumper. I did not need to use the bumper brackets that I bought separately. Looks perfect and I think the body man really took a lot of care when painting it - not an easy color to match (neither is silver).

I would make sure the 4WD works properly in all ranges as part of your evaluation - I assume it is a 4-button.

For the P0302 I would start by asking yourself the following:
Can I actually feel a misfire, or is the PCM just telling me I have a misfire?
Is the SES light flashing all the time?

If you want any help with the P0302 just let us know, but we will first insist that you get a scanner capable of reading Extended GM PIDs (like what was described or a capable hand held). Alternatively you can buy the MPFI spider, crank sensor, distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires like others will tell you to do in hopes that one or more will fix the P0302 issue. Guessing games can be expensive. The real problem might be distributor gear wear/cam sensor retard. Or maybe it just needs a crank sensor relearn. Or maybe the fuel pump is bad. Or maybe it really has a major problem. Just don't disturb the crank sensor unless you are willing to take it in to a shop for a crank sensor relearn.

Car Gauge Pro will do the most on 1998+.

Best wishes

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: How bad is p0302?