2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How To Change Hazard Flashers To Strobe Flashers

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
jlitzner is on a distinguished road
Default How Do I Change Hazard Flashers To Strobe Flashers

I'm looking to change the hazard flashers to a continuos pulsing strobe flash.
I have this module from Super Bright LEDs:

LSC-100B Continuous Pulsing Strobe Module

LSC-100B Continuous Pulsing Strobe Module.
I was wondering if there is a way I can wire this into the Hazard flasher, so when I turn the hazards on, it uses this 3 pulse strobe module instead of the regular flashing unit? I was wondering if there is a way to wire it in the flasher unit so when I turn on the turn signals, they use the stock flashing mode, but only when I turn on the hazard light switch, it goes to the pulsing mode.
It would be a cool effect, but I don't want to wire this all separately. I'd like to some how wire into the flasher unit for minimum wiring.
All my lights have been switched to LEDs.
Any great knowledge would be appreciated.

Last edited by jlitzner; 08-13-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Revising title to ask a question, not to have misunderstanding that it's a DIY.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

I have thought about this too. Haven't looked at a wiring diagram to figure it out.

Just looked at the diagram. There are two way I see of doing it. One involves the hazzard switch and two toggle switches. The other only involves a toggle switch. I will have to look into it more to figure how to wire in the module.

Last edited by stlwaco; 08-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

I put in an electronic flasher and when I hit the switch the flashers go solid. Possibly a combination of this flasher and the strobe module

Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Hey thanks, gentlemen.
STLWACO, if you have anymore info on how I can wire this, I would greatly appreciate it.
I could live with a toggle switch if I have to. Also, do you know the best place to get a hold of these wiring diagrams? This would be an awesome effect if I could pull it off with the least amount of re-wiring as possible. I'm just not sure of the best way to do it.

Right now I'm working on a set of sport mirrors that have LED turn signal lights with LED arrows in the mirrors. I was getting tired of these big elephant ears on my doors.
They have 3 different colors of LEDs - amber (turn signals), white (dome light), blue - wanted to tie into the hazards with the strobe effect.
I've gotten the power set in so I can move the mirrors with the stock power mirror switch, and it works great.
If you have ideas on how to wire this strobe module with a toggle switch, I'd appreciate it. I'll post photos when I finish.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

This mod may not be legal. The DOT has certian requirements for marker type lights on vehicles used on public highways. The rapid flashing may confuse oncoming traffic (May believe its an emergency vehicle). If it appears similar to Fire/rescue/law enforcement, you may be setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 PM

kristph30, this is a good point. I could see that this might not be legal. Maybe a toggle switch to by pass would be a better idea, That way I can still use the stock hazards for legal purposes on the street or highway, and have these strobe flashers, you know, for fun.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

No problem. Im glad you didnt take offense. Alot of people in ohio try to run blue lights on their car. In ohio, Blue is law enforcment. Big No-No.

I run Fire/Ems, Ive am particularly sensative to people who ignore the law and modify their vehicle without taking the consequences into consideration. As much as alot of people dont like goverment, DOT has made our vehicle much safer. Take it from someone who scrapes people up. They dont make rules just to make runs.

Idea, have you considered running the strobes concealed in the turn signal assembly? its been done with all types of vehicles. Law enforcement runs regular turn signals then have the strobes conceal for when they need them. It might be easier than what you were trying to do in the first place.

Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Agreed. Most states having Blue or Red lights without a permit is a big no-no. As well as having strobes. I don't see any harm in having a Strobe switch separate from your Hazard/Turn signal. And as long as you don't drive down the road with them on, or accidently use it then they have no way of telling you even have them.
But GL on the Wiring. I'm not a fan of wiring diagrams and can't help here lol.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 AM

Thanks. I don't take offense to good advise. I can totally respect where your coming from. Also, the last thing I want, is to give someone a reason to pull me over and hit me with a fine. I'm totally not looking for trouble.
I think I'm going to abandon the blue light in the mirror anyway. It really doesn't go with the look I'm after. The mirrors have 3 different lights in them, so the 2 I want to use, I will.
As for the strobes, I'm not sure. I wanted it to be easy, and just wire it into the exsisting lights. Just so I don't have a bunch of wires hanging around with extra bulbs. It could get messy. The module is cheap. I think I got it for $7 with shipping.
I think I'll think about this for another time or project.
Thanks everyone for the conversation. It's helped me come to a conclusion that it might not be worth the time to do this. You know, it's not like this is a show truck. It's my daily driver. I just want it to look good, run good, and not get me into trouble. He He

Thanks,
J