2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 AM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer

It's annoying. Is there a fuse to pull/relay or somthing. I just want them on at night

THanks!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer

Your talking about DRL's right?

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

Says this for S-10 (same as Blazer)

Remove relay under hood on fuse panel, bend pin #85 or #86 over.

I believe I bent over tab #86

The original site I went to for instructions is no longer up.

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM

I tried bending the pin nothing helped. Its going to suck having to hit that dome light switch every time!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

have you done the quad beam mod?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Jigg

have you done the quad beam mod?
No whats that?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 AM

You ground the yellow wire on the driver's side headlight and then when you put your high beams on, your lows come on too.

You might want to see if somebody did it to the truck before, because with teh quad beam mod, you can't just bend back the tab on the relay to disable the DRL's.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just did the quad mod tonight! Thanks for the info!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always just cut the wire at the back of the headlight[:@]

Why wouldn't you want to run DRLs, it makes no sense to me. There have been plenty of situations around here ranging from light fog to intense glare at sunrise/sunset that have made it nearly impossible to see vehicles without their lights on. For my own safety I keep my DRLs enabled, in fact I've found myself manually switching on the lights to be sure that my taillights are illuminated as well from time to time.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an easy question to answer with 5 minutes' research in Google. However.....as a general rule, I STRONGLY avdise against cutting wires or removing tabs from relays. Either of these cannot be fixed quickly, and replacing parts like relays can cost serious money if you change your mind. I like nice, clean fixes that can be reversed in minutes and don't leave any permanent marks.

For a while I pulled the relay under the hood and jumpered across a couple of the contacts but then with the relay gone, when you turn your headlights on at night, only the passenger side high beam works... no driver side. So I tinkered around and found that if you jumper 2 of the relay sockets, you can get the drivers side high beam back. (Not sure which hole # at this time, but it can be figured out from the service manual.) I did this mainly because I didn't like some idiot at GM deciding how my headlights should work. To pull the jumper wire and re-insert the relay takes less than 60 seconds, and then everything works as it did when new.

After some thought, I figured that leaving my DRLs on did add a safety factor, so I put the relay back in.

But - there's a write-up on DRL deactivation for most GM cars here: http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

However, I HATE the electric eye system that turns on the lights at dusk!!!!!! Here's how to defeat it in my 1999 Blazer:

Remove the RF speaker grille that has the light sensor in it, unplug the sensor and plug a 1.6-2.2 Kohm resistor ($1 at Radio Shack) in across the contacts of the connector. Done. Your system now thinks there is light at all times, and your headlights work manually. This can also be reversed in a couple of minutes if desired...just remove the grille, pull the resistor and plug the connector back into the light sensor.

Enjoy.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: pilgrim

This is an easy question to answer with 5 minutes' research in Google. However.....as a general rule, I STRONGLY avdise against cutting wires or removing tabs from relays. Either of these cannot be fixed quickly, and replacing parts like relays can cost serious money if you change your mind. I like nice, clean fixes that can be reversed in minutes and don't leave any permanent marks.

Serious money? Relays are like $8. Wires can be soldered back together for about 6 cents worth of solder.

Quick Reply: How to disable running lights on 2000 blazer