2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do i best repair/replace a door hinge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
Jerika L Zuckerman is on a distinguished road
Question How do i best repair/replace a door hinge?

the driver side door is one problem after another- the hinge was shot (when we got it) so the door was not aligned properly- needed to be slammed for it to close properly- needless to say a few slams too many- and the inner door latch busted out (the frame broke)- we had it re-welded- and thats fine but the hinge is still rusted and shot- door wobbles up and down
Aside from replacing my entire door- best option?
New hinges?
used hinges?
welding or adding something?

I will add photos to the comments soon!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

when closed
when closed
front of door- closed

upper hinge
lower hinge
NEW pin
upper hinge

Old 10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

HOLY MOLY! Sorry i dont know how to make the images smaller!!!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerika L Zuckerman
the driver side door is one problem after another- the hinge was shot (when we got it) so the door was not aligned properly- needed to be slammed for it to close properly- needless to say a few slams too many- and the inner door latch busted out (the frame broke)- we had it re-welded- and thats fine but the hinge is still rusted and shot- door wobbles up and down
Aside from replacing my entire door- best option?
New hinges?
used hinges?
welding or adding something?

I will add photos to the comments soon!
I replaced my driver's door hinge pins and bushings. I had to get a tool to do it. Do you think if the bushings and pins were replaced it would align properly?

I ask because it looks like the upper hinge has a part that is about to break off which would mean either replacement or fixing with an uncertainty in its alignment. Also if the striker plate is misaligned it would be hard to fix it at all.

Christine

Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

There should be replacement hinges which use bolts instead of being welded on. Could also be welded.

I had a pair ordered on rockauto but used just the door side and the pin.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default replacement door hinges

Originally Posted by error_401
There should be replacement hinges which use bolts instead of being welded on. Could also be welded.

What do you know, Rockauto does have replacement door hinges! http://www.rockauto.com/info/42/38705-007__ra_p.jpg

Nice to know they exist and are available. Only the front drivers door though. Then again that is the one that gets the most use.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I replaced my driver's door hinge pins and bushings. I had to get a tool to do it. Do you think if the bushings and pins were replaced it would align properly?

I ask because it looks like the upper hinge has a part that is about to break off which would mean either replacement or fixing with an uncertainty in its alignment. Also if the striker plate is misaligned it would be hard to fix it at all.

Christine
The hinge pins are new as are the bushings- didn't help

Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by error_401

i was reading not so great things about replacement hinges- i wanted to try to get some feedback from people who have done that or repair- i keep trying to find info but obviously the hinge places seem to think its just fine

My neighbor is happy to help me try to weld- but would that work?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerika L Zuckerman
The hinge pins are new as are the bushings- didn't help
New pins and bushings won't help if the holes in the hinges themselves are oversized or out-of-round. What I did when I made the same repair on my wife's '00 Blazer was to put some quick-setting JB Weld around the holes in the hinges to get them back to their original size before installing the bushings. That way, the holes in the hinges will be restored to normal size so the bushings won't be unsupported. It looks from the condition of the bushings that maybe the holes in the hinges had worn oversized and the bushings began to break down. If that's the case, redo the bushings and pins and build up the difference between the bushings and the oversized holes with plenty of JB Weld and the hinges will be good as new.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

From the pictures I would either weld (and that means fabricating parts) or get a replacement and weld or bolt that in place, or cut the hinge part and weld to existing support.

The OEM hinges are welded to the doors and to the frame and the pin and respective bushings act as the hinge.

Your's look shot (at least the upper one). The upper support of the pin is broken. Both bushings are shot. The door has an alignment issue which could be explained by the upper hinge being damaged.

The other issue is the lock side which broke ou of the frame. What has happened to that door?
The weld looks suspicious to me. Could be a torch weld which could explain why it broke at the edge of the weld.

All could be indicative of a hinge problem. The excess clearance makes the door sag. It will also damage the color on the lower part. (Fix it or it will rust your door away)
At the same time a quite high load of the doors weight in addition to rattling (clearance) while driving could have damaged the lock side.

This IMHO will need a pro fix as in properly fixed or more damage will follow.