2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

how do i remove poppet replacement injectors from the intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road
Default how do i remove poppet replacement injectors from the intake manifold?

i have a 2000 blazer that i am installing a long block in and i want to thoroughly clean the intake manifold i have replaced the old poppet style injectors previously with the multiport conversion and don't know how to remove them without damaging them. any help would be appreciated

i searched forums and found instructions on how to change the injectors which i did a year ago and there is a note not to try to remove them once installed or it will cause damage to the retainers i hope i don't have to buy another injection system at 300 and change.

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-10-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
Default update

i got the oil pump, oil pan, timing cover, valve covers on today so i had to start on the intake and i figured these injectors just popped in so they should pop out i pulled on them very easy and stopped seemed like too much strain and something was going to break so i got a large flat punch larger than the injector tube tip and gave them a light but sharp tap with the ball peenfrom the valve side of the intake and they came out with no apparent damage i'll let you know how it all works out when i re-install and start up.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

did you buy the mpfi spider locally? how much??

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Starting Member
Default spider rail replacement

its been a while but i think it was $300

Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member
idrd is on a distinguished road

if they are the same spider unit as my 96 then they should just pull right out. You have to squeeze the sides together, kind of like and electrical connection but not, maybe explaining it wrong. If you had to tap them out from the other side then there is surely a biblical amount of gunk built up inside. Mine had 116,000 miles when I replaced the mainfold gasket. While I had it all apart I cleaned up the spider unit and the popetts. If I can find the pictures of the process I took I will post them as soon as I find out how to post pictures off the computer. Took a picture of the entire process.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Beginning Member
dshuld is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by idrd
if they are the same spider unit as my 96 then they should just pull right out. You have to squeeze the sides together, kind of like and electrical connection but not, maybe explaining it wrong. If you had to tap them out from the other side then there is surely a biblical amount of gunk built up inside. Mine had 116,000 miles when I replaced the mainfold gasket. While I had it all apart I cleaned up the spider unit and the popetts. If I can find the pictures of the process I took I will post them as soon as I find out how to post pictures off the computer. Took a picture of the entire process.

Two different style spiders(unless you updated to the mfi). The original spider in the 96 didn't have the injectors at the poppet and did have two little pins to squeeze to remove with. The updated spider(mfi) has the injectors at the poppet with a plastic retainer ring at the bottom of the poppet.

There doesn't necassarily need to be "biblical" amounts of gunk to make them hard to remove. When I replaced mine I cleaned every last inch of the lim as I was replacing the lim gasket at the same time. I was curious of how well they would hold so I tried taking one back out and it took more force than I would have expected to remove it (so much I was afraid of breaking it before getting it out) .

Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqOuyfgQeUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPrPUgNLf0

Last edited by blazinloud; 03-17-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Starting Member

yeah i have the mpfi upgrade with the plastic retainer rings down inside the hole. i had the intake off anyway as i am replacing the motor they seemed to come out without damage by popping them out from the valve side. the intake looked like the 5.7 in the video black as tar with years of oil and re-breathed exhaust plus any fine dust that escaped the air filter. after a long soak in the parts washer and a lot of scrubing its looking nearly new i'm even considering putting a coat of red header paint on it if it's not too much of a p.i.t.a. to mask off the important stuff. thanks for the videos informative and entertaining. that brake parts cleaner gets me making up words too