2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do I remove single injector from spider

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
rockjock29bc is on a distinguished road
Question How do I remove single injector from spider

Hi there I have a 1999 4.3 Blazer I am idling very rough and took it to Midas they told me it was a fuel issue and 5 and 6 were not firing And that it was the spider injector and that the injector was probably fine but the hoses coming off it were plugged. So to save the 1200 dollar repair bill I decided to take out the spider injector and clean out the injectors with air and brake cleaner. I have the spider assembly out but can not figure out how to take a single injector out of the spider any suggestions??????

Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In the original configuration that your truck came with, the electronic injectors are housed in the main body and feed pressure actuated poppet nozzles that are at the ends of each of the nylon lines. The poppet nozzles are generally the failure point in the original spider as they can get dirty and either not spray properly or not even open.

It will not end well if you try to pull things apart and clean them. If you really want to try, the metal plate on the bottom of the main body will need to be removed. The problem you are going to run into is pressurizing the spider while you energize the injector momentarily. Consistent voltage to the injector could cause damage, so energizing it should be done very quickly.

My advice; if you have the spider out, toss it in the garbage and pick up an
AC Delco MFI upgrade spider AC Delco MFI upgrade spider

Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Beginning Member

thanks swartlkk thats exactly what im doing lol. Just gonna put in a new one one question I have though is the hole I put the ends into can i spray carb cleaner in them to make sure there is nothing in there im worried they might be plugged with carbon or something is that even possible.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
since you took it out, replace the whole thing. This is an upgrade from the original Amazon.com: ACDelco 217-3028 GM Original Equipment Fuel Injector Kit with Bracket: Automotive
I am replacing the whole thing but i mean the holes or ports that I put the ends into and clip them in to place where the spider sprays fuel into is there anything in those holes that can get plugged is there a way to check them to make sure they are not plugged. I dont want to buy a new spider install it put it all back together then find out i have the same problem because something else was plugged. I also noticed on the passenger side of block there are holes just behind the poppet valves (i hope im saying that right) and two of them are filled with what looks like oil and gas mixed or probably carbon and gas makes more sense. but is that normal do they drain somewhere?

Last edited by rockjock29bc; 01-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
BF Veteran

A little seafoam will probably work. You can get it at a parts store. Not to heavy with it and when everything is back together it smoke like no tomorrow for a few minutes but it will go away. Good stuff

Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 PM
cferry7 is on a distinguished road
Default brush

Be careful how much cleaner you use here . . . possibly a circular scrub brush that will fit into the injectors hole.
Remember this hole is atop the Cylinder and Piston Head and all the fluid will be sitting in the cylinder atop the piston minus drain down past the rings . . .

Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 AM
BF Veteran

seafoam in your oil wont hurt anything, infact it may help

Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

I bought the Sea Foam stuff and used it to clean my intake it worked great but as far as spraying it down those ports I'm not sure it says to spray it into your air intake while your revving your engine at a certain rpm for a length of time but I dont have a spider in there at the moment so my engine does not work lol

Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran

Qtip!!!!

Quick Reply: How do I remove single injector from spider