2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do I replace window back in track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
WinnieJ is on a distinguished road
Default How do I replace window back in track?

Need help on how to put the driver side door window back in the track bar that goes on the rollers.

I tried to push the glass in the slot but it is very tight and I know it has to hold the glass so it can pull the window down.

I read some where that I can use urethane adhesive for glass, put a bead in the track bar channel and push the glass down to set it. Will this work?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The track should come off the regulator. Then you can assemble the track to the bottom of the window outside of the door and put it all back down in together.

The book calls for the weather stripping and both the front and rear tracks to be removed before attempting to remove the glass. With the window approximately halfway down, the track should be visible/accessible through the openings in the door (you'll have to remove the weather deflector as well). The track can be slid forward and disengaged from the rollers.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Thank you swartlkk. I now have the window out of the door but I need to put the metal bar that was attached to the bottom of the window back on. Is there a way to put it back on the window or do I need to buy a new window with the metal bar attached?

I tried several ways to put the bar back on but it just won't go on.

My other question is, if I remove the rubber from the metal track bar, place a bead of urethane adhesive for glass where the rubber use to be and press the glass back in the channel of the metal bar, will the urethane adhesive for glass be strong enough to hold the window in place while it goes down?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly enough, use soapy water. Some dawn dish soap mixed in a spray bottle works wonders for getting the glass back in the channel. Push everything together and allow it to dry before putting it back in. A block of wood can be used to tap the channel back onto the bottom of the window.

I wouldn't recommend adhesive.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok, I'll try the soap and tap the bar on the window. Thanks for the advice on not using the adhesive.