2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do you remove steering wheel cover?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you remove steering wheel cover?

I'm talking about the piece of plastic on top of the steering column that the hazard switch pokes through on a 99 blazer. I have the bottom piece off, 2 screws and unclip it but the instructions i have for the top say there's a screw to remove and i can't find one. I have my mirror all around this thing and i can't find a screw, but it's snug around the ignition.

Anyone?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Megalodon_Al is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How do you remove steering wheel cover?

Very frustrating.... have typed reply three times with no success. I hope someone can help with this because my Haynes manual says wheel must come off on airbag equipped trucks. Anyone have different experience? I need to change my multifunction switch.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Starting Member

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, but does anyone know how to get this cover off? Do we have to remove the steering wheel?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Starting Member

Well, i figured it out. I did some searching and found there is a 'reverse torx' screw and sure enough there is(didnt' know what that was until i saw it). It's on the ignition side of the panel. I got it off with a 5/32 socket and voila there's the top bolt for the turn signal switch. (incidentally no part number on the hazard switch.

So i took the top torx screw out of the switch easily enough but the one on the door side is tough because of the steering wheel. I got a really big vice grip and pinched the torx bit in there and very slowly removed the screw. The wiring was a bit of a pita but not as bad as what i'd just finished so the old one came out in about an hour i'd say(i could do it in 15 mins now ).

So i put my replacement switch in from a wreckers and wouldn't you know it..the wipers work, the squirt works but the high beam wouldn't stay on and there was no hazard or turn signals

I double=checked my wiring and it's all good...so the switch i bought was crap.

Man i'm pissed...that was a lot of work and some scraped up knuckels and now i have to buy a brand new one afterall. I should have just bit the bullet right off. Buy good parts and do the labour myself is probably the best in the run. Oh well..tomorrow it's off to the dealer to get a new switch. Hopefully i can return the one i bought that doesn't work.

I'll try to take pics when i reassemble tomorrow... it's really not as bad a job as it seemed and all the searching indicated. If I can do it, anyone can

Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Starting Member

Tried editting above...stupid board problems

Anyways, false alarm i just forgot the turn signal and sir fuses ... once back in everything works. Truck is back in one piece and i have no more clicking(except when i command..mu ha ha)