2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to: Install 4l60e Corvette Servo (Must have for any 4l60e) EASY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default How to: Install 4l60e Corvette Servo (Must have for any 4l60e) EASY!

Hey guys some of you know this some dont the corvette servo (2-4 servo) is an upgrade that is on the side of the 4l60e transmission and helps improve almost all shifts and can extend the life of your transmission, it only costs $20.00 (get a good one) with all o-rings and parts needed. It is located on the passenger side of the tranny and you have to remove a heat shield to get to it. I included another tutorial because the videos just show you how to remove it when the tranny isnt on the vehicle. When your doing it to the vehicle when its mounted you may have to take out one part at a time due to space confinement. Oregon performance transmission on ebay is the best place to get it from, dont try and save $5.00 on a cheap one these are made in the USA! I tried to post in the tech article section but couldn't Here is the videos on install and removal!

Removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WpjGQnEixo

Install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfPgBUH6Ru0

Tutorial:
http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98029

Also I found this, Installing a new boost valve is also highly recommended and if it goes out can ruin your tranny!

Pressure regulator & reverse boost valve and sleeve: The reverse boost valve and sleeve in the pump should be replaced every 40,000 miles (65,000km) to avoid damage to the transmission. Damage can occur when wear in the boost sleeve causes insufficient line pressure in reverse. Many major repairs of the 4L60E at around 50,000 plus miles are because of the boost valve and sleeve. The valve and sleeve can be replaced easily during a routine service of the transmission for around $50. This should be considered a necessary procedure if you are transplanting one into your car. Oversized (0.490" versus the stock 0.470" or 0.420") reverse boost valves are available that provide a moderate increase in pressure, and are a good addition to any 4L60E.
As well, the pressure regulator valve (located under the reverse boost valve) should have two small 'flats' (~3/16" wide) ground on the second land - counting the lands from the end opposite that spring seat (or alternatively it should be replaced with an updated valve that has these flats). See the ATSG manual for more information.

I cannot find any info on installing or replacing the boost valve if anyone knows how or has a picture of where it is I would appreciate it! I know you just have to drop the pan and its very easy from what I have read so far, but I have been researching for 2 hours and cant find anything! I installed the corvette servo and want to do this next!

Last edited by dj00140; 02-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it. I'm waiting for a few more seals before all of this stuff goes into my Tahoe:

Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Starting Member

LOL Do you know where the boost solenoid is and the pressure control solenoid? I know the boost valve is really easy to swap but I am not sure about the EPC (electronic pressure control) solenoid. I really want to do the boost valve soon so any help is appreciated!

Is that a regular shift kit or a superior shift correction kit? How hard are those to install? you should do a tutorial!

Last edited by dj00140; 02-27-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The boost valve is located at the front of the pan and slides straight up in. It is held in place by a snap ring. Really easy to see once you are in there.

The EPC solenoid is located on the passenger side rear of the valve body as seen in THIS schematic view.

That is not what the text you copied in above is talking about. The pressure regulator valve is above the reverse boost valve. It is just a shuttle valve.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member

Yea I copied that text just to try and educate about the boost valve. I just learned all of this and thought some others who didnt know much about trannys would appreciate it.

So do you have to take out the valve body to do the pressure solenoid or the boost valve? This lady in another thread said she was charged $750 twice to get it (pressure solenoid) replaced! And what tranny do you have? Are you doing a tutorial on your shift kit?

Sorry for all the questions its just hard to find this info online and i have literally been searching all day. I really appreciate your insight! I dont know what this forum would do without you seriously!

Last edited by dj00140; 02-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't have to pull the valve body to replace the EPC solenoid. It is held in with a clip. $750 is a flat out rip off if all they changed was the EPC solenoid. I've seen transmissions be fully rebuilt for that kind of money.

My Tahoe has the 4L60E. I'm not sure if I am going to have the time to take pictures of the process. I'm going to be working alone so cleaning up to document each step would take a lot.

There are a few pictures in this thread: Trans Cooler & Shift Kit Install!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Starting Member

Ok that diagram and pic pointed out the pressure solenoid perfectly! Thanks, still cant figure out where the the boost valve is can you point it out in the pic in the link you posted to your shift kit install , last thing I promise!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator

In this picture, it is located near the lower right corner. You can see on ear of the snap ring just off the corner of the valve body.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Starting Member

Ok Im at work and was able to add numbers and letters lol could you tell me which one it is. Thanks. Your answering like all my questions.

I will try and make tutorials for these as I do them to help others as well, I know how hard it can be to learn this stuff for people like me, I just got all my tools for christmas and a few more myself, before then I had only changed oil and brakes a couple times, thanks to this site I have done wheel bearings, cv axles, fuel filter, rear axle seals. and more. I never thought I could do all this thanks a lot!

Attached Thumbnails How to: Install 4l60e Corvette Servo (Must have for any 4l60e) EASY!-shiftkit012xxxxxx.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator

B. See the snap ring??

Quick Reply: How to: Install 4l60e Corvette Servo (Must have for any 4l60e) EASY!