2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How many components in Air Bag System 97 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
Blueline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many components in Air Bag System 97 Blazer

Hi - just wondering how many components there are in the air bag system (97 4x4 LT). I just wanted to do a visual of all the components and their connectors. I'm aware of the two sensors under the front bumper, the module behind the passenger side kick panel, and the clockspring device in the steering column. Are there any others and what would be their locations?
Thanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: How many components in Air Bag System 97 Blazer

Do you have an airbag light on?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Just the wiring and the inflator itself (the air bag in the steering wheel). Why do you ask?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

Yes my airbag light is on. I would like to disable the SIR system and inspect for anything simple before I take it in. I.E. corroded or broken connections. I am aware of the caution needed involving this system.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

be ready when you take it in...its kinda a rule that airbags should be serviced/replaced every 10 years...

Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Beginning Member

Just to follow up - the sensors on the front bumper are tied into the system via the DERM module are they not as well as the arming sensor inside the column?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran

Couldnt you just get the code read by the dealer/up scale shop and figure out whats wrong with the air bag system rather than hunting down every piece involveD?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

I could but I'm used to troubleshootingproblemslike this out of self interest. I'vedone a lot of electronic troubleshooting on my own. Old habits are hard to break. Before I proceed I need to feel confident I've got all the adequate information to do it safely
and efficiently - otherwise I have reason enough to take it in.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Diagnosing SIR systems isn't quite as simple as measuring resistance and checking for a voltage drop. You NEED to have a DTC to start with. The code will tell you which sub-system to look at, and yes it could be a simple loose terminal, or a wire broken, but you're probably gonna waste ALOT of time going about it like this.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member

I put in about an hour and a half and was able to check the continuity in my wire harness from the DERM to the sensors and fuse blocks. I did find the sensor located by the fuel tank to have corroded contacts when I removed the connector. I cleaned out the corrosion and restored the continuity going back to the DERM. The corrosion was a fuzzyaqua blue - build up. I'm pretty sure that I've found the root cause but am aware I might need to have the DERM cleared/reset.

An hour and a half isn't too bad even if I hadn't located anything as obvious as I did. I did have some infoon the pin-out of the DERM so at least I could check for the wire harness fault/connection I did find. I agree having the diagnostic done is the proper most efficient way - I just wish I could get it done for under $90 CDN. I'm in the electronics field and paying that much for plugging a diagnostic tool for 5 minutes still makes me shake my head. I know the tool isn't free but at $90 a pop it's bought and payed for in no time at all.

Will post againto confirm if my discovery was the real fix once I confirm about the DERM needing to be reset.

Quick Reply: How many components in Air Bag System 97 Blazer