2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HOw much time and work into changing unviersal joints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM
95blazer49660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOw much time and work into changing unviersal joints?

I just picked up new universal joints for my 95 and was curious how much time and effort will go into replacing them? Just looking for some sort of idea how long and what i am getting into.

Thanks

Shawn

Old 10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: HOw much time and work into changing unviersal joints?

IIRC the stockers have nylon plugs in them, correct? You will just have to unbolt the driveshaft from either end, heat up (slowly) the plugs until they squeeze out, some persuasion to hammer out the old ones (be easy), reinstall new ones, bolt driveshaft back up. Be sure to mark everything with lines using a sharpie so it all goes back together the way it came apart or you could end up with a nasty vibration. I believe we tackled mine in no more than half an hour...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Beginning Member
01Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Did mine in a couple hours. Dropped my rear driveshaft, used a rental u-joint/ball joint press kit to try and press the worn OEM joint out. Failed. Took entire shaft to Chevy dealer, guy in service said should be able to press out with vise and sockets. I told him I doubted it, and he was nice enough to use the shop 20-ton press. Later on, he agreed with me, said bench vise would have been impossible. Torching the shaft doesn't sound like fun either. Thanks, Westgate Chevrolet!
That was the solution to my driveline clunk, not slip yoke as many people have said, and not "normal" driveline lash as dealers tries to say. Needle bearings were ground to dust and U-joint was holding up by a wing and a prayer, 50% worn on two sides.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Beginning Member
soco is an unknown quantity at this point

torched mine out worked great took a couple good swings with small sledge but worked well enough

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually had success last year with mine just using a bench vise(the bigger the better though!) only having 5" to work with i barely made it with the aid ofa socket cut down to fit in there.Took me about 4hours because of the darn vise.