2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP! #4 fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM
shleprock is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! #4 fuse keeps blowing

Please help anyway you can!! My 1995 4x4 chevy blazer, blows the #4 fuse as soon as I turn the key to on! I don't even have to turn the engine over! All the Dash gauges( which includes the speedometer and odometer), the A/C, and the alternator all stop working, but the car will still run fine on the battery! That is untill the battery runs out of power! If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, or any Diagrams showing the wiring to the components connected to this fuse, I would be so thankful!!

These are the components connected to the #4 fuse!!

Alternator Field, VTC, A/C Compressor Relay, Cluster
Chime Module, DRL Relay Coil, Four-wheel Drive
Indictor Lamp, DRL Module, Rear Defog Timer, TCCM
Ignition, SIR Redundant Ignition, RKE Ignition

Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Well, we know its a short somewhere, but where? Have you done anything new to the truck? If so that would be where to start. If you could disconnect each of the Items you listed, put a good fuse in then connect each one with key on until the fuse blows and that night tell you where the problem is

Last edited by newguy; 08-24-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 PM

I havn't done anything to the truck lately, but in the mornings it would start up running rough, but would smooth out in about 30 seconds or less, if that means anything!I've tried disconecting lots of things, but not sure where all the connections are to the items listed! It would be great to have a diagram of the wiring, or even some pics if anyone out there has some! And, is there anyway there could be a short in the battery itself???

Last edited by shleprock; 08-24-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

I changed my heater core and pinched the main power wire to the dash. Kept blowing a fuse but don't remember which one. But the dash had no power and would blow a fuse just like your stating. It's under the dash on the drivers side. check to see if the wire harness didn't rub against something.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM

I havn't done any work on the car, one day when I was driving, I just noticed the gauges wern't working! I know it has to be a short, but it could be anywhere! Is there anyway to use a test light to narrow it down?? Also, when I turn on the headlights while driving, the warning buzzer dings like I left the lights on while the car isn't running, but if I turn down the dimmer switch to the dashlights the dings go away! HELP!!!!

Last edited by shleprock; 08-26-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Basicly ,hours of searching every where. I had a fuse that did the same thing (ecm) fuse. took 1 week and 2 tows till I found a wire melted to the exhaust manifold

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Like newguy mentioned, start unplugging things on your list, (ABS is on that fuse also) until the fuse doesn't pop, then let us know which component it was.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM

The problem is I don't know where all the plugs to the components are!! Does anyone have a diagram or pics that might help me???

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the good ideas, but still havn;t found it!! Why when i connect a test light to the disconnected ground cable and then to battery ground would the test light light up and then slowly fade out over a few seconds???? HELP!!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for all your good ideas, but I still havn't found the problem!! When I disconnect the ground cable from the battery and run a test light from it back to the ground on the battery, the test light goes on and then slowly fades out in just a few seconds!! If there's a short, shouldn't it just stay lit?? Why does it fade out???

Quick Reply: HELP! #4 fuse keeps blowing