2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to to reset the UK (RHD) spec passlock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
leaky is on a distinguished road

I have also been through this scenario.

If you have the ORIGINAL remote (that used to work on the vehicle, then stopped) pop it open and re solder ALL 3 legs of the battery carrier (the 'C' shaped bit), each leg goes to a different part of the circuit board and all 3 need to make contact. Many remotes that 'just die' suffer from the battery carrier not making proper contact in all 3 places.

If you don't have the original remote, Tech 2 will extract the mythical 5 digit code. No extra software is required but it is a little complicated and a long while since I needed to do it.

If the remote thing does not work, post back and I will use my Tech 2 on my Blazer and record the necessary steps and post them up.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Magnum1965 is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Original remote does work, but I only have one working remote. I have two additional remotes that I hope to sort out from a German imported Blazer that I use for parts.

Unfortunately I do not have that 5-digit code and this is precisely what worries me. Before I try to program the other remotes (which I do not know if they work) i would like to have the code as backup.

If you have the time and are able to help me, it would be much appreciated.

//Magnus

Old 01-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

AS a matter of interest I was talking to a guy in France last year who was having immobiliser woes with his Blazer. He eventually found a competent dealer who managed to extract his 5 digit code & was told by the same dealer that the immobiliser can be programmed with the Tech 2 so that the fob is not needed to unlock the vehicle (useful if you don't have a working fob I suppose) and also does away with that annoyance where the immobiliser re-arms itself if the vehicle isn't started for a couple minutes after unlocking the doors.

Basically what the guy was telling me is that the immobiliser can be disabled with the Tech 2 without affecting anything else that the fob operates, like the central locking, tailgate release etc.

How true this is I do not know for sure as have never used a Tech 2, guess it depends on how competent the Tech 2 operator is & how well he knows his way around the menus etc?

Why on earth GM decided to do what they did with the European Blazer immobilizers I do not know? I had a US spec 1998 model before my current one & programming a new fob took a couple of minutes. There was no 5 digit code need in the event of a fob not working, I just unlocked the door with the key & started the vehicle - nice & simple.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 AM

Dave,
Completely agree with you.

Sure it is fine with anti-theft, but when it malfunctions, it seems more trouble for the owner than for the prospective thief ...

I would welcome an easy way to bypass it. Have read about remote start kit that apparently solves this, but it seems to apply only to US models. Not European versions.

I got my Tech2 about a week ago, so it'll be some time before I become "competent" :-)

Anyone knows a good manual on this matter or is it just the original shop manual that shows what you can do with the Tech2 on a particular car (Blazer 1999 in my case)?

//Magnus

Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Ok, how to retrieve '5 digit code' with Tech 2.

Set up Tech 2 in vehicle, ign on and engine running. (I have had 100% success doing this with the ENGINE RUNNING but variable results without, even with a battery charger connected. Seems to be very voltage sensitive)

Switch on Tech 2, press enter at first screen.

Select Service Programming Sys.

Press enter.

Select year.

Press enter.

Select LD, TRK. MPV Incomplete

Press enter.

Select Blazer

Press enter.

Tech 2 will now read data.

Check Vin.

Press enter.

Disconnect Tech 2.

Plug Tech 2 into PC running TIS 2000 and work from computer.

Once PC has recognised Tech 2, select Service Programming Sys.

Press enter.

Three selections are now required,

'Tech 2' in top box.

'Reprogram ECU' in middle box

'Vehicle' in lower box.

Press next.

Confirm Vin.

Press next.

Select Read Immobilizer Pin (Europe)

Press next.

Press next.

Press next.

Press close.

Plug Tech 2 back into vehicle, ign on and engine running.

Select Service Programming Sys.

Program ECU.

Press enter.

New Program Data.

Press continue.

Press continue.

Wait for a short while and

READ OFF YOUR 5 DIGIT PIN!

Have fun.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Forgot to add, my software is also 33.002.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum1965
Dave,

Anyone knows a good manual on this matter or is it just the original shop manual that shows what you can do with the Tech2 on a particular car (Blazer 1999 in my case)?

//Magnus
I haven't seen any decent instructions / manuals for the Tech 2, only the less than helpful videos from the Chinese sellers, which show very little of the actual working of the machine, more to do with the setup of their software.

The Chinese MBStar that I use (for Mercedes) also seems to be lacking in this area but the more that you use it, the more that you understand.

My biggest problem is that I don't use them often enough to become really proficient with either.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 PM

Thanks a million, Leaky!

I have not sorted out the connection to the computer, TIS2000 and the Tech2 yet. Don't even know if the CD I got is working correctly. Hopefully i don't need any extra hardware, at least it said so in the ad. But it will of course be checked as soon as possible.

I have my first working day tomorrow after almost a month of Christmas leave, so I know I will not be in shape to work with the car tomorrow anyway. Strange how just a day's work can make a completely exhausted:-)

With luck I have time to check this the coming weekend.

I will of course let you know how it went. I am very grateful so far.

I have a friend in Stockholm who worked a little with these machines, but he did not remember how it was done and he does not have any manuals for the Tech2. He meant the only type of manual that could help with a specific car is this:

1999 Chevrolet GMC s T s 10 Truck Service Shop Manual Set 3 Blazer Jimmy New | eBay

It's ok if you have just that car and going to work with that alone, but If you have a workshop and like to check different cars then there will be A LOT OF BOOKS...

Personally, I'm thinking about getting one of those sets. It should help me with my -99 and -98 and my kids -95 S10, even if it's not exactly the same for all of those cars.

Wish me luck, i'l be back ;-)

//Magnus

Old 01-11-2015, 02:02 PM

The software seems to load quite easily, at least mine did, on XP SP3.

If your PC has a serial (RS232) port, finding and configuring the Tech 2 is fairly straightforward. I have also used a serial to usb converter with this setup with good results, just a little more tricky to configure.

Good luck and ask if you get stuck.

Last edited by leaky; 01-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM

You've got mail...

Quick Reply: How to to reset the UK (RHD) spec passlock.