2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need a radiator, '01 Blazer. Advice?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road
Default I need a radiator, '01 Blazer. Advice?

I haven't had to buy a new radiator in YEARS, and so I have some questions about the Blazer's radiator and my options for a new one. This is for a bone-stock '01 4.3L. The top/side is cracked on it, time for a new one evidently. Just over 100k on the truck.

1.) Is the stock radiator a single row?
2.) Is there an 'upgrade' I should consider? (didn't really have cooling issues that I know of w/the stock one I guess)
3.) Should I buy locally or online?
4.) Is there any brand I should stay away from?

The last time I bought a new rad it was from a local specialty shop that sold cooling parts, but don't even remember the name of that place anymore or know if they're still around. So I called around to the normal chain parts stores to see what brand/warranty/pricing is. They're all pretty close in price, sans Napa & Car Quest being $20 higher on theirs. All seem to carry a limited-lifetime warranty though. Brands were Spectra, TuffOne/Ready Rad, and Murray. Looking online at RockAuto, they offer a "Spectra premium" for just under $100, a "Vista-Pro" $126.79, A "Nissens" $168.79, and an ACDelco.. for $224.79.

Is the ACDelco really that much better than any of the others? Taking the listed PN of 20837 and looking on Amazon, I start to get confused because Amazon says the 20837 will NOT fit when I plug in the info .. Huh?
Am I okay with any of the other brands off R/A or locally? Or should I spring for the spendy ACDelco... which has conflicting fitment depending on where I look .

While I'm at it.. may as well get a new water pump too. So do I want an ACDelco replacement (which by now I imagine is a China part) or am I okay with whatever any of the local parts stores offer there?

Thanks for any experience/advice!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

The radiator is single core it usualy provides siffucient cooling.Maybe you could add an electric fan for better cooling.As for which brand is better I don't know if napa is a better one but it will cost you more this I know.You can buy localy and or online.Its probably going to set you back estimated $150

Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Joey1986Z is on a distinguished road

Like you, I have a bone stock '01 4.3L, mine is 2WD.

Last September, the Blazer had around 195K and I had a leak on the top driver's side and replaced mine with a "ToughOne" from Advance Auto. One reason I went with Advance is because I had a pending $25 coupon from a previous order that was about to expire. The Radiator was (and still is ) $130 before the discount. I've put nearly 15 K on it and have not had any problems with it at all (leaking or overheating). I recommend it.

While you're at it, I'd flush everything real good including the heater core, mine was clogged and this was discovered when we had single digit temps one morning!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I doubt there is much difference in brands of radiators, but one piece of advice for when you get it; before installing it, make sure the fittings that screw into the plastic tanks for the oil or trans fluid coolers are nice and tight.

I replaced the radiator a couple of years ago and thought I had blown the plastic tank seal and was in the process of taking the radiator out only to find that one of the fittings had come loose.

A few taps with a screwdriver and a hammer and all was good.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies so far!
Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
The radiator is single core it usualy provides siffucient cooling.Maybe you could add an electric fan for better cooling.As for which brand is better I don't know if napa is a better one but it will cost you more this I know.You can buy localy and or online.Its probably going to set you back estimated $150
I figured it may be, don't recall where I came across it but one of the replacements actually stated "single core" so I just wanted to check to make sure that wasn't a step down. I wasn't considering Napa really.. though I called to see what pricing was - $150. The corner garage mentioned that they've had some issues with Napa radiators once in a while, but theirs are Spectra brand, as well as Car Quest, so I'm not sure if it's just them or what.
Originally Posted by Joey1986Z
Like you, I have a bone stock '01 4.3L, mine is 2WD.

Last September, the Blazer had around 195K and I had a leak on the top driver's side and replaced mine with a "ToughOne" from Advance Auto. One reason I went with Advance is because I had a pending $25 coupon from a previous order that was about to expire. The Radiator was (and still is ) $130 before the discount. I've put nearly 15 K on it and have not had any problems with it at all (leaking or overheating). I recommend it.

While you're at it, I'd flush everything real good including the heater core, mine was clogged and this was discovered when we had single digit temps one morning!
Thanks for the input. As for flushing - I'm good there. The intake gaskets were done not quite 6 months ago and it was flushed then and a new stat put in as well. The heater core itself has been flushed once for sure that I recall.. and like you I found out it was getting gummed up when it started getting pretty cold out and I started getting luke-warm at best out of the vents. After the back flush of the heater core though, that sucker is back to heating the hell out of a person in the winter between the heat and heated seats. It's the truck's best attribute IMO.
Originally Posted by LannyL81
I doubt there is much difference in brands of radiators, but one piece of advice for when you get it; before installing it, make sure the fittings that screw into the plastic tanks for the oil or trans fluid coolers are nice and tight.

I replaced the radiator a couple of years ago and thought I had blown the plastic tank seal and was in the process of taking the radiator out only to find that one of the fittings had come loose.

A few taps with a screwdriver and a hammer and all was good.
Noted about the fittings, thanks!