2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I removed my throttle position sensor ...

Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
zombiewoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I removed my throttle position sensor ...

And now it idles around 2500 rpm...how can I make the idle go back to normal? I removed the negitive battery wire hoping this would reset it...didnt work. I cant beleive i just screwed this up...I let it run for a few minits hoping it would clam down...didnt work...

I was also messing with the idle air control...I cleaned it....I may have pushed the pintle in a bit...how can I correct this?

EDIT....It was the idle air control pintle pushed in...I took it off and pulled it out ...It hardly idled...so I pulled it out a bit more and now its idling at 1500....is this something that takes a while of running to adjust itself?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: I removed my throttle position sensor ...

Do you have a multi meter to read the TPS voltage? It should be approx .64v to .67v @ idle or with key on engine off.
If the TPS is correct cycle the ignition a few times. Don't start it, just cycle it. Then you can start the engine with the park brake on and put it in gear (while holding your foot on the brake) and within a minute the IAC should re-set.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks....as long as I know it will reset itself I should be ok....I have the truck on blocks waiting for my muffler to get here tomorrow..I guess I shouldnt be messing with things if I dont know what they do...but then again ..I just learned something

I read in my manual to adjust the plunger to 28mm with the neg bat cable off and thats how to install a new one...so thats what I did...Ill have to wait until I can get it out of the garage to run it under load and reset it, I cycled the ignition a few times and started it (but not for long) and it seemed like the idle was changing from high to low and such...

Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Let us know how it works out after your muffler is on.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM

I damaged my throttle position sensor...got a new one and it idles ok now...Thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very good! Thanks for the update!!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran

Sorry to hear that you damaged the TPS but glad you got it fixed.