2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition switch problem years

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ignition switch problem years

I was wondering what years the ignition switch problem is limitied to, if any.

I have a 2001 model, and it is exhibiting some of the same symptoms that I've read about for many of those that have had the ignition switch problem. Most that have trouble with their ignition switch seem to have late 90's models, around 97, 98, and 99. So I was wondering if it is feasible that an 01 can have it too. Not willing to say that's the problem just yet, since I haven't checked the wiring or anything just yet, which it could very well could be.

It all started today when I left Wal-Mart, got in the blazer, hit the key and absolutely nothing happened. Like one of the wires disconnected from the battery somehow. So, I pop open the hood, jump out of the blazer, and I had left the key in the on position, when I slammed the door everything chimed on. So, I hop back in, hit the key, and it starts up fine. I take off, and it quits at one intersection, but starts back up pretty quickly. Then no more problems until I finally come home tonight after leaving a friends house.

I have one of the pioneer CD players that you can switch the screen savers on, and one of them happens to be a voltage meter, not the most accurate thing but it did show some interesting stuff. The whole time I was driving the voltage was jumping all over the place, from 12.8 to 14.1 volts on it, mostly it stayed in the upper 13s and lower 14s. Everynow and then when I would hit the breaks, or flip from from low to high beams, the voltage would bottom out, go low enough to shut the cd player for a second. Then it would pick back up to "normal" range. So it makes me think there is just a bad ground, loose wire somewhere, but could also be the ignition switch too I suppose.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ignition switch problem years

Check the positive post on the battery for corrosion inside. You'll need to remove the cable.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ignition switch problem years

Went out this morning and worked it some.

Disconnected the batter terminals, and cleaned everything up real good with battery terminal brush. It all looked pretty good already, but cleaning them never hurts. It at least seems to have cured the problem of the intermittant loss of all battery power, which with past experience I suspected it would. However the alternator still produced voltages all over the place, couldn't produce a steady currnt. So, I took an old alternator I had laying around (odd I know), and replaced it. Once changed, the voltage leveled off and stayed pretty steady. When first started it had about 14.5 volts, and after running for quite a while it dropped to 14.2 volts. So far it seems like things are ok, for the time being anyway.