2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition Switch, Starter, Fuse or Alt?

Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 PM
BlazerRJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ignition Switch, Starter, Fuse or Alt?

Hi All,

So here's the probelm, I wanted to check the alternator to see if it was charging the battery correctly as I have been noticing that the battery has been loosing charge lately, so I started the truck and removed the positive battery lead to see if the alternator could keep the truck running, this worked great so far, got in the truck and put the lights on, this worked great, then turned the heater to a low fan speed and it killed the truck. I guess I should have gave it some rpm first, my bad, so I connected back the lead and tried to start the truck and nothing. Lights come on in the dash when I turn the key, but when I try and start the truck the dash lights stay on but just get a little dim.

What's the probelm? Ignition? Starter? Alternator? Fuse?

Any help would be appreciated, oh I checked all the fuses in the side of the dash on drivers side. Is there a main fuse on the positive lead, I couldn't see one.

I thought it might be the starter stuck, I unplugged all the wires from the battery to see if I can reset something overnight, just grapsing at straws here.

Oh yeah, Battery is new.
Also Starter has been turning real slowly lately, maybe a symptom but I dont think its the real probelm.

Ryan.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
BlazerRJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ignition Switch, Starter, Fuse or Alt?

Hi all,

Thanks for the help, but I have seemed to have solved the problem myself. I thought I would post a reply to my own thread just so if someone else were to come across it, in a search and they had thesame symptoms as least they could get a potential answer.

The answer was the starter motor. I pulled the starter motor which was pretty simple, and took it to Advance Auto where they tested it and it seemed to work fine, it was running at 12v and was pulling about 70 amps. So I replaced the old one and tried to start it again, this time it turned over really slowly. The starter must have hit a dead spot previously and did not want to turn anymore, so back to Advance Auto where I picked up a Reman starter, got the core credit, thanks and now it starts straight up, no issues. I also returned with the truck and they checked the charging system to make sure the alternator was ok.

Thanks.