2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

II Idle issue- take two?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Those fuel trim boxes are exactly what we need. You have a marginally poor situation on bank 2 at idle which is correcting for a rich condition that looks excellent at speed. Since it’s only one bank it looks like injectors, o2 sensor, ignition, compression, etc on that bank.

what do the plugs look like on that bank? Have you done compression? Have you ever swapped or replaced the o2 sensors?

George

Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, the built in GM PIDs looks like there are a fair amount of them, including the misfire counters - but not all I am used to seeing. Specifically Cam Sensor Retard is missing, and that is my gold standard for OBD2 apps for the Blazer.

Looks like from their web site below (pasted), OBD Fusion is not really intending to support GM fully as they don't mention them. Probably the PIDs were too expensive to buy them from GM and they included the ones they could figure out for free. Still the GM PIDs you showed I think is pretty much equivalent to what Torque Pro offers for in-app PIDs. For Ford and others - this software actually seems superior to any of my Android apps by apparently covering PIDs for ABS, airbag, transmission, 4x4, BCM, etc. Car Gauge Pro will read/clear codes on other modules, but no PIDs for these modules and doesn't work on iOS. To me, OBD Fusion seems like great software but not really great for Blazers - but still an option if you must use iOS or have another car it covers completely. All the SAE PIDs are there and some GM PIDs even in the trial version. However, Dash Command will still give you more for a Blazer on iOS, even though the interface is more crude.

Thanks!

Enhanced Diagnostics

OBD Fusion now supports enhanced diagnostics for Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Enhanced diagnostics provide access to additional modules such as ABS, Airbag, Transmission, 4x4, and Body Control modules. You also get access to hundreds of additional parameters that are not available over standard OBD2. Enhanced diagnostics are available through an In-App Purchase in OBD Fusion.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road
Default Feedback and do I fix it now or later?

Dash Command OBD II by Auto Meter Products I assume. Yea I looked it over on the IOS app store several times and again just now. Last update 2 years ago and IOS was still on 9.#.# On IOS 12.1.4 now. That is the main reason I did not go with that app. Your right, it might be best one for the Blazer on IOS but the lack of updates is a major issue. As is compatibility with the latest iPhones is one and lack of support is the other.

Several other apps are there but none have the reputation of ODB Fusion I purchased other than the “BlueDriver” which is free but only works with that 99$ BlueDriver odb device (which on Amazon has decent ratings when it works but a lot of DOA or cars actually broken / batteries drained from that device supposedly on the negative reviews.)

As is made a trip to my parents some 200 miles one way (Chicago Burbs) and then back today. My old dad has a 2007 Chevy Avalanche that had water damaged rear door speakers (dad must’ve left windows down when it rained at some point, he denies just like all the right rear tire curb scuffs I saw - speaker diaphragms shot) so yea, count on eldest son to make a trip and fix it up and do some other chores while visiting. Blazer made the run ok. As you all mentioned the fuel trims at idle are iffy at best and it showed. Shakes now and then, that occasion stall and a bit of rough idle once in a while. At speeds was all smooth. I am in the injectors camp. Over 200k miles, not sure on plugs but wires look recent and not sure but I bet still spider type injectors too. Note a little oil leak from lower front of motor, suspect front main seal because like I’ve never seen that before on a higher mileage GM...not!

How far you all think I can go till replacing those injectors? Rush or it can wait till nicer weather? If I do so how much more an issue to fix that oil leak whilst I’m at it? Worthy of attention or wait and then like overhaul top to bottom? The spotting is like couple of 2 inch circles and I doubt at this time even a 1/2 qt loss between oil changes. There’s a light lifter tap first few mins after startup when cold, also another thing I’ve seen countless times over the years but to me not a rush need thus again a fix at rebuild type thing. Toss me your input and I’ll go from there. “As seen on TV” j/k as I mentioned in my greeting I am basically retired so time I have, tools so so, money limited so I try to do it myself and get help as needed. Let me know- Tig

Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Dash Command OBD II by Auto Meter Products I assume.

Note a little oil leak from lower front of motor, suspect front main seal because like I’ve never seen that before on a higher mileage GM...not!

If I do so how much more an issue to fix that oil leak whilst I’m at it? Worthy of attention or wait and then like overhaul top to bottom? The spotting is like couple of 2 inch circles and I doubt at this time even a 1/2 qt loss between oil changes. There’s a light lifter tap first few mins after startup when cold, also another thing I’ve seen countless times over the years but to me not a rush need thus again a fix at rebuild type thing. Toss me your input and I’ll go from there. “As seen on TV” j/k as I mentioned in my greeting I am basically retired so time I have, tools so so, money limited so I try to do it myself and get help as needed. Let me know- Tig
I see that Palmer Performance was bought by Auto Meter in 2015, so yes. Thanks for the review and screen captures of OBD Fusion for iOS.

Typically on Blazers the oil leak at front of engine is seepage from the oil cooler hoses at the crimps to the metal part of the lines. There are two sets of hoses. Engine to oil filter adapter, and oil filter adapter to radiator. The engine to oil filter adapter hoses are fairly tough to get at with engine in place, but it can be done with patience. Stay away from Dorman hoses as they are reported not to last. I have had good luck with AC Delco replacements for 35K miles so far. Worth it? It all depends on how **** you are!! The hoses aren't cheap nor are they easy to install. I replaced mine when I had the engine out.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-26-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Umm, they must be one in the same. I followed the link from PalmerPerformance website, opens my App Store and ... autometer products is the name of developer. To be sure tried a search of PalmerPerformance and no hits on apple App Store. So on the rest, that oil and injectors, lifter tap- I know it will be addressed but question remains. It’s not backfiring or anything. Will I be doing further damage to continue driving it as is for a while or do I need to repair it like now?